Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rail Lock 53MY

Rail Lock 53MY

Does anyone have a spare knob/pin/spring rail lock that they want to sell? It is the small stainless barrel bolt-spring mechanism that locks the underside of the teak handrail "gates" (port and starboard) that lift up and down allowing you to board the boat. Sam's has it (part # S78644A), however at $56 each I nearly fell off the chair when I saw the price. Don't get me wrong, I have purchased plenty from Sam's but this price seems a little steep. If no one has a spare I may buy a barrel bolt from the hardware store and try to make one. If that can't work, I guess I'll bite the bullet, buy one from Sam's and just say "that's what you get for owning a Hatteras".

Thanks

Doug

Re: Rail Lock 53MY

Doug,

Try to find a small machine shop (1 or 2 man) and ask them to do one for you. You may get lucky, he may be a boater and do you a favor. A small piece of 316L for the bolt and a smaller stub for the knob + a SS spring and you're done.

Walt

P.S. Naturally it would help if you take the one from the other gate with you or at least an accurate drawing.

Thanks Walt...sounds like I'll have to fabricate something.

I have realized, in considering this thread, that it does not take very much time and effort to equal $56.00. And the one from Sam's will match the other side perfectly. I'd go for it!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I’m with you Jim!

I need one of these also and got to thinking about taking one off the other rail and IF you didn’t drop it overboard
    and DIDN’T screw it up taking it off. You would still have to drive all over town to find someone to TRY to make one.
    If the machinist ever found out you could buy one for $56 he would run you out of his shop.

I’ll call Sam’s Mon!
    "Mambeaux"
    1985 43MY

Quote Originally Posted by Mambeaux View Post
    I’m with you Jim!

I need one of these also and got to thinking about taking one off the other rail and IF you didn’t drop it overboard
    and DIDN’T screw it up taking it off. You would still have to drive all over town to find someone to TRY to make one.
    If the machinist ever found out you could buy one for $56 he would run you out of his shop.

I’ll call Sam’s Mon!

I agree with Jim and Jack on this one Doug. I'm all for saving money whenever possible, but when we can solve a problem that is bothering us on our Hatt's for uner $100 I don't even think about it any more.

What is a machine shop's minimum charge anyway? It just can't be worth it, IMHO.

I guess if I had to look for a machinist perhaps I would also just buy the part. My problem is that while I don't think Sam's is the gouger, I think the price for an insignifcant little nothing that I can knock out in my garage in a few minutes is insane. But then most costs for our favorite pastime are insane.

Whenever I need any SS parts like chocks or whatever that are not very difficult to make, I dig through the scrap bin for a chunk of metal and spend a little time enjoying myself. Besides the feeling of accomplishment and pride in the finished product, the wonderful feeling that I refused to let some hardware manufacturer stick it to me is justification enough. Most of all we do on our boats ourselves comes under the same catagory, otherwise we would all just sit on a deck chair and sign checks.

Walt

Not sure if anybody still needs one. I have the mail lock in stainless steel if anybody’s interested. The combination at Sam’s is 386. I think 125 would be a fair price if anyone’s interested. Plus shipping. I took it to my shop and buffed it up and it looks like brand new. No major scratches to speak of not even any minor scratches. Private message me if you’re interested.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Doug, your time is also worth something- as in not driving around trying to get this done, plus the piece from Sam's will fit because it's made to. I'd bite the bullet and just buy it. From time to time I have found items identical to what Sam's has, out there for less money, but if we don't support Sam's, they won't be there when we need something only they have. Plus they have this forum, which I have not encountered for any other make of boat.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 05-11-2024 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Doug, your time is also worth something- as in not driving around trying to get this done, plus the piece from Sam's will fit because it's made to. I'd bite the bullet and just buy it. From time to time I have found items identical to what Sam's has, out there for less money, but if we don't support Sam's, they won't be there when we need something only they have. Plus they have this forum, which I have not encountered for any other make of boat.
    Jim,
    Pay attention . That was from 2008. You might what to delete your post.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI