Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Late 70s early 80s Hatteras Rudders needed

Looking for 70s / 80s rudders for my 45C. My original post was some time ago so I thought I would expand my search. I understand that they are pretty much a standard rudder for that series of boats. Im sure there are some floating around out there in someone’s back yard. I was talked in “High Speed Rudders” after my QSM11 repower,,,,, Big mistake. “HELP”

Re: Late 70s early 80s Hatteras Rudders needed

What are your new rudders made of? If they're stainless you may be able to have a machine shop that knows what they're doing enlarge them.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Call Sam's They have several rudders listed in the parts catalog. I may be wrong but maybe the 53 MY had the same rudders as the series 1 45C. Some years ago, I measured a 53 hatt's rudders on one next to me on the hard and the external dimensions were the same. Of course, I couldn't measure the shaft diameter or shaft length, but length can be cut down. Sams could tell you if my assumption is accurate and then your search would be wider still.

High speed rudders usually have smaller area and maybe more shallow.
    Bertram used these so called H S rudders on everything.
    I added 3 inches to the bottom and back edge to ours.
    Ah, Sweet.
    It may be cheaper/faster just to modify what you have and don't need them removed from the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    What are your new rudders made of? If they're stainless you may be able to have a machine shop that knows what they're doing enlarge them.
    I thought of that already but now one wast to attempt it because of rudder balance. They are stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    High speed rudders usually have smaller area and maybe more shallow.
    Bertram used these so called H S rudders on everything.
    I added 3 inches to the bottom and back edge to ours.
    Ah, Sweet.
    It may be cheaper/faster just to modify what you have and don't need them removed from the boat.
    I will revisit that idea. One of the local prop/rudder shops here in Stuart built the ones I have. I plan to go talk to them again this week. Thanks for the info.

You should be able to add to them while keeping them balanced, especially length. Do you have a photo you can post? Btw, if it's Stuart Propeller I'm a little surprised because they have a great reputation for building running gear parts. Thinking the shop made them isn't used to boats that don't do 40 knots????
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog901 View Post
    I thought of that already but now one wast to attempt it because of rudder balance. They are stainless.
    Hydraulic steering? You won't feel any difference.
    I'm guessing your old rudders were scrapped?

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    You should be able to add to them while keeping them balanced, especially length. Do you have a photo you can post? Btw, if it's Stuart Propeller I'm a little surprised because they have a great reputation for building running gear parts. Thinking the shop made them isn't used to boats that don't do 40 knots????
    yes, Stuart Propeller did build these rudders back in 2006 when I re-fit my boat. Not quite sure why they built the HS rudders as the boat tops out at 33 with a cruise at 24. I have hated the rudder performance from day 1. It wasn’t until I was in the Bahamas and lost a starter and attempted to come home on 1 engine and found I could not steer the boat straight. My BAD. They built the struts (4) shafts and rudders. Every thing worked and aligned perfect except the rudders performance.
    Last edited by Bigdog901; 04-16-2024 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Hydraulic steering? You won't feel any difference.
    I'm guessing your old rudders were scrapped?
    Yes I’m sure they were. I like the stainless rudders, there just to small. Yes I have Power Hydrolic. Hopefully they can help me out.