Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Late 70s early 80s Hatteras Rudders needed

Is the power steering driven via hydraulic on engine pump or electric assist pump? An on engine pump should be able to handle whatever you throw at it.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Having the rudder shaft at 20% from the leading edge makes for a pretty neutral rudder concerning needed rudder force. It`s mostly the size of the rudder shaft that needs some consideration concerníng the loads from thrust.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd1972 View Post
    Having the rudder shaft at 20% from the leading edge makes for a pretty neutral rudder concerning needed rudder force. It`s mostly the size of the rudder shaft that needs some consideration concerníng the loads from thrust.
    But is it really needed?
    This was considered when we increased our rudders back and down 3 inches.
    Not power assisted but basic and original Hynautic steering, I feel no difference in the wheel.
    But again, The AP drives 90% of the time but coming in some inlets I have to hand drive her,,, No Issues.

Good to hear. Was just some basic engineering knowledge and in case someone would follow and want to build new rudders it might be helpful info.

Cool Re: Late 70s early 80s Hatteras Rudders needed

I have a pair of rudders removed from my 1985ED. Please PM me if you are interested. We are repowering and added 35% more area to the rudders to give better control in a following sea.

Don