Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: napacool volume

napacool volume

I noted on the pencool 2000 bottle it recommends 1 pint per 4g but double the volume for "water only" systems. The napacool instructions make no mention of this and I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone at Napa. Does anyone have a definitive answer? I'm still trying to understand why more for "water only", is napacool assuming your using a coolant with SCA's so you're adding additional?

FYI: for those needing coolant, NAPA has their concentrated coolant with SCA's on sale for $13/g, normally $23
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Re: napacool volume

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    I noted on the pencool 2000 bottle it recommends 1 pint per 4g but double the volume for "water only" systems. The napacool instructions make no mention of this and I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone at Napa. Does anyone have a definitive answer? I'm still trying to understand why more for "water only", is napacool assuming your using a coolant with SCA's so you're adding additional?

FYI: for those needing coolant, NAPA has their concentrated coolant with SCA's on sale for $13/g, normally $23
    Pencool 2000 is a treatment system, not a permanent coolant system.

Since pure water cools better without any additives, there are lots of old farts out there still just ad water. Sadly, water pump seals, gaskets and O rings may get abused more. Hence a water treatment to help keep these abuses down with some cleaning action,, some..

Since my engines are not exposed to hard freezes, I still mix my own coolant and usually end up with 60/40 ratios or a lil more in water, in my 71s and gen-sets.
    Better coolants like the PowerCool, do a fine job in protection all of the equipment.
    Test strips help me decide when the replace the coolant. So far, every 4-5 years.
    I don't ad any snake oil or SCAs to help it last any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Pencool 2000 is a treatment system, not a permanent coolant system.

Since pure water cools better without any additives, there are lots of old farts out there still just ad water. Sadly, water pump seals, gaskets and O rings may get abused more. Hence a water treatment to help keep these abuses down with some cleaning action,, some..

Since my engines are not exposed to hard freezes, I still mix my own coolant and usually end up with 60/40 ratios or a lil more in water, in my 71s and gen-sets.
    Better coolants like the PowerCool, do a fine job in protection all of the equipment.
    Test strips help me decide when the replace the coolant. So far, every 4-5 years.
    I don't ad any snake oil or SCAs to help it last any longer.
    Thanks Capt. Ralph, There's NOTHING wrong with using distilled water and SCA's, personal preference. I have block heaters and 0 plans to be ANYWHERE it's freezing. Sooooo, do I double the napacool volume?

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Sooooo, do I double the napacool volume?
    Do you need any treatment??
    How old is your coolant?
    Any issues in cooling?
    Coolant tested lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Do you need any treatment??
    How old is your coolant?
    Any issues in cooling?
    Coolant tested lately?
    I've discovered some serious corners that were cut by a crew working on my vessel. so much so, it is believed the reason for my present port MOH is due to valve and injectors that appeared to be set by a blind bilateral upper extremity amputee. That being said, I don't trust what has been done to the starboard, ironically a MOH on it recently completed. How about port with 160 thermos inboard and 170 outboard, that finding was enough for me to pull down the starboard side for a look and low and behold, 170 inboard and a 160 and 170 outboard. I've drained all of whatever may have been in there, pulled the thermos, added 2 cups of diluted cascade, ran for 30 minutes and flushed three more times until all was clear. Here's where I'm not sure we're on the same page. Irregardless whether distilled water or coolant is used it is recommended SCA's be in the system (more-so for wet-liners), correct? If Pencool says double for "water only systems" is that due to them assuming you're using a coolant with SCA's already? I'm trying to decipher what it is about "water only systems" that would require twice the additive, according to Pencool but no mention by napacool.

You have 71s or 92s?
    4 thermostats should all be 180°.

Who is recommending SCAs?
    Who is recommending coolant treatment?
    Sounds like used cars sales hype.

If all is drained, fill all with fresh coolant made for Detroits..
    Fresh coolant will have everything that is needed already in it.
    Min 50/50.

Don't ad any snake oil.
    In a couple of years, test your coolant. Ad or recharge what the lab recommends.

Your not using a water only system so don't worry about mixing in a treatment (NAPACool or PennCool) that is not needed.

IMO; It is a simple job. Don't make it complicated.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 05-04-2024 at 02:30 PM.

What coolant for 8v71ti’s ? I’m planning on doing a drain flush and refill sometime this season.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Distilled water is mandatory with the latest coolants. The additive package to the modern coolants is so highly balanced that the chemists can’t control for whatever may be in a local municipality’s tap water. The reason premixed coolant is pushed so hard now is because the manufacturer has already mixed it with distilled water and the manufacturer has one less headache from claims of coolant doing something funky.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    What coolant for 8v71ti’s ? I’m planning on doing a drain flush and refill sometime this season.
    I get a great price from my DDC shop on DDC PowerCool.
    We have original, 46 year old 12V71TIs.
    I try to keep things simple.