Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Anchor Recommenations

I guess I could also raise it with a 'come-a-long' or ratchet strap. Whereas the davit is rated at 800lbs, maybe take off the side using the davit winch.
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

I had thought about using the Davit to pull it up. That would be completely dependent on the conditions, of course.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

If conditions are calm enough the davit will work although it would have to be done 20/25’ at a time tying the chain and resetting the davit hook. A few years ago I used the davit to recover a 40” prop from the bottom. We had stern winches so I was able to bring it to the water line before using the davit.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    If conditions are calm enough the davit will work although it would have to be done 20/25’ at a time tying the chain and resetting the davit hook. A few years ago I used the davit to recover a 40” prop from the bottom. We had stern winches so I was able to bring it to the water line before using the davit.
    I'm having flashbacks to my Coast Guard days on a 180' buoy tender working aids to navigation and retrieving/replacing moorings for the buoys. We essentially had to do the "davit" retrieval, but of course we had a procedure for it and a ship designed for it. These were the "Cactus" class buoy tenders, all of which were built before or during WW2, but all replaced by 1998.
    FB_IMG_1513815770591.jpg
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

125 pound Mantus with 300’ of chain and biggest galley maid windlass with new clutches. Also have a Mantus swivel and also a Mantus chain hook. Will probably round it out with a Mantus bridle. Mantus had a template at FLIBS that I used to check fit - was perfect with no mods required. Ground tackle been excellent in se Florida environment - always with plenty of scope. I will say it likes soft muddy bottoms the least. Mantus has good discounts online and at the boat shows. Good luck!

Maybe this is just fantasy, but I always reasoned that if my windlass failed I would try to use my tender crane to get the anchor to up and down position and then let nature break it free and then pull it in.

I have never done this but have thought about it as a last ditch move.

Has anyone retrieved an anchor using their tender crane?

Bruce

Freestyle
    1985 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

You re not going to break it free using the davit because of the amount of pull needed and the difficulty of keeping the davit lined up. Remember that a davit only pulls in one direction

Breaking it free is easy. Pull the chain onboard while someone moves the boat forward. Once the roller is above the anchor it will break free lifting the chain isn’t too hard. I did it a few times while my windlass being rebuild and the 60 lbs anchor was no big deal either. any anchor over 80/90 lbs is going to be tough…. Once it s free I would tie a line around the chain or use a chain hook and move it aft to the davit
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat