Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anchor Recommenations

Thinking about replacing original plow style with a Rocna or Mantus. How big - 125lbs for a 56 Hatt my? Can the original galley made windless handle? Existing 300' - 3/8 BBB chain. Planned cruising grounds: Intercoastal Southeast gulf, east coast, and bahamas. Don't like marinas so planning on a lot of hook time.
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Re: Anchor Recommenations

We put a Rocna Vulcan 55 (122lbs) with a Mantus swivel on 300' of 3/8 chain. Had to put a slight notch in the forward part of the stainless anchor roller to accommodate the shank. We have a Galleymaid HW30 windlass and it works perfectly. I finally sleep well on the hook. Of course I set two anchor alarms.

Best price was Amazon with free shipping.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Looks like $2k. Any mantas lovers out there?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Maybe it is just me, but I would have a hard time completely trusting an anchor that was bolted together no matter how much locktite I put on the bolts. That is why I like the Rocna better than the Mantus.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I ve used Bruces AKA Claws for about 15 years on a 70 and an 84 mostly in soFL and the Bahamas as well as a 3 or 4 trips north to new England. They ve held us in some nasty blows and never let us down. And that’s anchoring at least 100 times a year, mostly overnight. In fact on the trips along the east coast with the 70 I would only dock a couple of nights, on the hook the rest of the time.

How I wish I could fit a big Bruce on the 110 I run these days instead of the Poole I m stuck with.

On my own 53, I have a 60 lbs Davis which is ok since we don’t anchor that much. Eventually it will be replaced by a Bruce as well
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Two years of 112 Lbs Rocna, Mantas Swivel and 3/8ths chain. I sleep great. No worries about the windlass which is original but I had Galley Maid rebuild as a precaution.

Rocna and Mantas have cutouts to see how they fit in the pulpit. Rocna fit mine (54 MY original) perfectly. The Mantas would have required a notch in the stainless. Thus the decision to buy Rocna.

I like swivels and The Mantas swivel is a superior piece of engineering and manufacturing.

I would also recommend the Mantas bridle rig if you want to take equipment failure out of your ground tackle game. The chain clip with strap never loses the chain and the mooring clip makes life fast and easy.

Getting space in marinas is now a longshot gamble and expensive. Four nights in Key West in a marina cost the same a s a full Rocna or Mantas rig and chain.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1985 52 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

My windless is original and I can't find any records indicating a rebuild. Should it fail retrieving 120 pound anchor, are there alternate ways an old man could retrieve? I anticipate a R/R would take some time. I don't want to drop 4-5k replacing something that currently works. I live in a Biden world where resources never exceed demand.
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Funny thought, bringing that anchor up manually. Our clutch has a slot for the bar we use to tighten and loosen it for drop or retrieval. That would also be the way to bring the 122lb anchor on a 3/8 chain up by hand. So…if the Galleymaid fails, I’ll drop at least two gps position pins and maybe a buoy to mark the spot for the diver.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Good thought, regards diver. Never considered.
    Thx
    Mark
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

I just know it’ll be damn near impossible to bring the weight up with a thin metal bar, 2 or 3 inches at a time.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310