Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: What diameter dock lines should I use?

Braid sucks I’ve had it fail twice in areas with no chafing half way between the boat and the pole. This just happened this spring when the typical Florida frontal passage gust front. In a sudden shock load the strands generate so much heat it actually melts the rope. The one end is only discolored because it hung in the water for a few days until I got it off the pole. This was 3/4” on a 50C. 3 strand only from now on
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

too late for OP if needing lines now but I monthly check good ole craigslist under boat parts for lines, fenders, and 50A (for power cords) and have scores big time over the years. Doesn't work if you need something today. But preemptively I have extra (nice condition and cheap) power cord for travel, more than enough lines in the locker boxes, tons of storm lines, and a few good fenders. Also if you fish type in Penn under the general for sale section. Many nice finds.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Braid sucks I’ve had it fail twice in areas with no chafing half way between the boat and the pole. This just happened this spring when the typical Florida frontal passage gust front. In a sudden shock load the strands generate so much heat it actually melts the rope. The one end is only discolored because it hung in the water for a few days until I got it off the pole. This was 3/4” on a 50C. 3 strand only from now on
    100% agree. That stuff is fine for temporary tie-ups while you're traveling, but my dock lines are all 3 strand nylon. I also don't feel that the woven has the same stretch.

Size depends on location. I have a fair amount of wave action at my dock. It seems overkill to have 3/4" lines on a 36 ft boat, but I have broken 5/8" lines in the past.

BTW, black holds up much better to UV.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    100% agree. That stuff is fine for temporary tie-ups while you're traveling, but my dock lines are all 3 strand nylon. I also don't feel that the woven has the same stretch.

Size depends on location. I have a fair amount of wave action at my dock. It seems overkill to have 3/4" lines on a 36 ft boat, but I have broken 5/8" lines in the past.

BTW, black holds up much better to UV.
    I had 1-inch 3-strand nylon (tripled lines for Ian) on Pau Hana. We know from watching during the storm from the marina hotel that when the dock sections started coming apart, Pau Hana actually carried the dock sections she was tied off to with her which is a tribute to the lines, and the boat construction.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

I mostly use 3/4 inch three-strand nylon. All my dock lines are controlled from my cleat on deck which allows me to adjust each as needed. I order many of these lines with a three foot spliced loop for passing over pilings which lets even inexperienced bystanders take my lines when landing. I order these from New England Ropes www.neropes.com and have had great service.

Practical Sailor magazine had an article, (www.Practical-Sailor.com) 6/14/22) about the deterioration of lines with age and, primarily, sun exposure. After reading this I replace my permanent dock lines in Florida about every five years, using the old ones for traveling dock lines until they, too, finally need replacement. Other lines are stored in dock boxes out of the sun and fare much better.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

In post #2, I commented "This is normal dockside tie up, not storm ties".
    Quick weather, lots of wake and large tide swings (line angle changes) should be all be considered when selecting a line type.
    I would rather not get more into securing for a storm in this thread, just regular dock ties.

IMO;
    Twisted does offer more stretch and shock absorbing ability than typical braid.
    Twisted may not last as long.
    Long lines last longer, Twisted or braided.
    The shorter the line, IMO, the more stretch I would want in it, the shorter its life.

We have lived on our boat for many years, fixed and floating docks.
    Currently living back on shore but less than 100 feet away. And of course, on board near daily (as now).
    We look our lines over often and when they look poor, reach in the box and grab a fresh one (or not as old). In over 20 years, we have still had a couple of surprises and failed lines.
    We have also drug anchor and run aground. Ship happens..
    It is boating and we have learned some good lessons with minimal fuss.

We all have ideas on lines. Probably from good lessons learned also.
    nmcafee has asked but his next best answers will be what he has already learned and what dock line adventures have in store for him.

Lets all check our lines this weekend. Stay well & safe.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    You have to find someone that will make big enough eyes on the lines. I never could find any premade that would fit over my cleats. I had to have them made.
    Ditto that. I have a bunch of lines that came with our boat. 3/4" and the eye's are a pain as they are not big enough without a fight.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

3/4" lines got my 52C through Hurricane Ian. She was under the stalled eye wall for 9 hours of 140+ mph, and not one nylon line snapped. 2 pilings even pulled over in the mud, but the rest held.Those lines are adequate.
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 04-13-2024 at 10:26 PM.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I winter in the water in CT almost every year. The only line I've ever had part on me was a 3/4" braid. I only used it because it was on the boat when I bought it, seemed to be in good shape, at fit well. I always used nylon previously with no failures, and everything I use since then is 3 strand nylon.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Try the online rope store. I think it is onlineropestore.com. They are in Canada, but they ship quickly and their quality and prices are excellent.