Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Galley Maid Windlass info

Isn't there a clutch on all windlasses? We free fall ours all the time. However the admiral uses the clutch/break to slow the drop to prevent the pile up.
    Last edited by Sadey; 04-12-2024 at 12:08 PM.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Some can not be modified, I asked Rick when he rebuilt mine a few years ago although he said powering down as is isn’t going to cause an issues unless there is a lot of tension on the chain.

The clutch helps control the speed at which it free falls
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I understand these later days, free dropping is the later way to lower an anchor from an old windlass.
    Interesting; That same old windlass has been powering down the anchor for 30 plus years. Been doing it wrong all these years and never knew it until now ??

Thoughts on free falling;
    Working close to a falling object (anchor) and a flaying chain inches away looks safe ??
    SOP on a big ship, still not safe but preformed entirely different than as on our recreational boats.

Chain piles on the bottom is the new correct way to lay an anchor ?

Free dropping is now required because the internal reduction gears, chain sprocket and other parts are worn out, of witch there are few replacement parts for.

Other old windlass issues include some Frankenstein engineering to keep working,, again,, again..

Having gone thru an original Ideal windlass on our Bertram, then replacing that with a later Ideal a few years later. I had enough abuse and replaced it with a modern Lofrans.
    I never realized how easy working with a anchor was supposed to be until this new windlass came on board.
    Since day one, the manual states to power down the anchor slowly and lay the anchor on the bottom correctly.
    I can still drop it if required.

Since my lesson, I have assisted in a few other windlass replacements and these costumers and new friends have agreed; Hassle free operation and maintenance of their new windlass is great.

My comment of "stop feeding the dinosaurs" ...
    I have learned some things the hard way these 22 years of ownership, of our now 46 year old Bertram. #1 is some modern equipment is better, safer, offers a better quality of life than to keep fixing & worrying about the old dinosaur bones equipment.

They are still some cave-man options on our ole Bertram. I deal with them as they fail but small cave-man options will be replaced vs patched, worried over and constantly having to be fiddled with.
    Now your comments make sense. I understood the reason to be reducing wear on the gearbox, but the old salts that I learned from were pretty emphatic that you free-fall the anchor in a controlled fashion, ease the brake/clutch out enough to let the anchor drop, but not start the chain jumping. I'm sure there are still circumstances where a free-fall mode is desirable, but controlled fall is still more desirable than letting it just drop, which is what my earlier comment implied. Thanks, as usual you've given me more to think about as we start considering what we want next time.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

I also learn a lot from Captain Ralph as well, however...

I don't really see how a brand new Galley Maid is really that much of an old technology thing?

I mean, yea, it would be dumb for me to get a new gearbox and stick a 45yr old motor on it along with flaking 45yr old deck hardware, etc...

But, in my case I would literally be getting brand new everything, windlass, switches, control box, etc...

How different is that from a modern Lofrans windlass?

Maybe I am missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    Now your comments make sense. I understood the reason to be reducing wear on the gearbox, but the old salts that I learned from were pretty emphatic that you free-fall the anchor in a controlled fashion, ease the brake/clutch out enough to let the anchor drop, but not start the chain jumping. I'm sure there are still circumstances where a free-fall mode is desirable, but controlled fall is still more desirable than letting it just drop, which is what my earlier comment implied. Thanks, as usual you've given me more to think about as we start considering what we want next time.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    I also learn a lot from Captain Ralph as well, however...

I don't really see how a brand new Galley Maid is really that much of an old technology thing?

I mean, yea, it would be dumb for me to get a new gearbox and stick a 45yr old motor on it along with flaking 45yr old deck hardware, etc...

But, in my case I would literally be getting brand new everything, windlass, switches, control box, etc...

How different is that from a modern Lofrans windlass?

Maybe I am missing something?
    Does GalleyMade make new, later designed windlasses?
    I don't know for sure.
    I assume they have painted and chromed over dinosaur bones. I further assume; done correctly the stuff can last another 30 years or so but it is still old tech bones.

Same basic design, but, the gearbox and motor have both been updated.

Above deck hardware is now all stainless vs chromed bronze.

Remember, the windlass pictured aboved STILL WORKED.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The clutch helps control the speed at which it free falls
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Isn't there a clutch on all windlasses? We free fall ours all the time.
    F M & talented to regulate the fall speed of an anchor with an old clutch.
    Also standing out in the sun, cold, rain, bugs....
    Takes a talented, strong, brave cave man (person).

But why??
    Oh, because we keep our old dinosaur windlass running.

I've had my fun. I think most of you kids understand what I'm trying to say.
    Just lots (not all, just lots) of the new stuff (Windlasses, Heads, Pumps) have impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    F M & talented to regulate the fall speed of an anchor with an old clutch.
    Also standing out in the sun, cold, rain, bugs....
    Takes a talented, strong, brave cave man (person).

But why??
    Oh, because we keep our old dinosaur windlass running.

I've had my fun. I think most of you kids understand what I'm trying to say.
    Just lots (not all, just lots) of the new stuff (Windlasses, Heads, Pumps) have impressed me.
    Having watched more than my share of YouTube videos, including "Onboard Tangaroa" I get it. Thanks for sharing. You make a lot of good points.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

I would replace with the old GalleyMaid or Ideal. They are just built tough. Sometimes the old stuff just can't be beat. Plus it looks great and fits with the look of our old boats.
    There really is no "new" technology to a motor turning a gear.

And I don't like new boats either.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 04-12-2024 at 10:34 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The thickness of the pulpit usually makes it hard to install modern windlasses unless they have an option for longer shafts
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat