Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Vetus Bow Thruster

My 12 year old Vetus bow thruster is not working. I have proper 26v across the unit but it won't turn. The prop turns the shaft freely. Prior to stopping, the unit ran with diminishing thrust for a couple of years. So the tech's conclusion is that the motor needs new brushes and windings.

Does this sound reasonable?

Any thoughts on what is required to remove the electric motor and get it rebuilt/refurbished?

Where to take it in Tampa or send it?

Thanks

Bruce

Freestyle
    1985 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Re: Vetus Bow Thruster

Have you checked the voltage at the actual motor or at the power feed to the solenoids? Before removing the motor I would make sure it’s not a solenoid or control issue
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

12 years,, Lots of current. I agree the first to look at (past the solenoids) is the brushes.
    You may be able to service the brushes in place but armature inspection may not be possible.
    Pull the motor and inspect/replace what is needed.
    Are you keeping the boat another 10/12 years ?? Consider a whole new motor.
    Check on impeller updates.
    Don't forget to service the gear lube.

Just because it's after 1700; Real drivers don't need no stinking thrusters..
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 04-09-2024 at 06:31 PM.

Have a Vetus 12v thruster on our 32' center console which crapped out after 16-17 years. It ended up being cheaper to purchase an entire unit than just the electric motor which wasn't available at that time anyway.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Not sure I'd agree with the "needs a new motor" without some additonal tests such as a high pot test, resistance check, etc of the motor windings.

I'd agree with brush replacement and brush rigging inspection.

Also, DC motors require cleaning of the commutator periodically as carbon build up from the brushes between the commutator bars can "short out" the bars over time. This can easily be restored by cleaning out the carbon between the commutator bars. The commutator (rotating element) of the motor would likely have to be removed to clean this up the right way.

My guess is that windings are likely good if you are not tripping the breaker or blowing the fuse.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL