Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Name change on stern

So, the boat has Imron paint and the name has been baked on... been trying heat gun and scraper, but it's not very effective and super slow. doesn't help that the name takes up the entire transom lol

I've been toying with the optiton of sanding it off, but that means reapinting the stern.

Before I resort to such drastic measures I thought I'd ask if there's any other options for removing it?
    Last edited by Hat4Shay; 04-09-2024 at 11:04 AM. Reason: typo

Re: Name change on stern

So the name is actually painted on top of the Imron ?

really easy and no paint damage. 3M pin stripe and decal removal wheel https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Remo...53379258&psc=1

Use the rubber wheel. Use your drill at the highest speed. It will not harm the paint. Once off the paint under the name will be really shiny so the stern will have to be buffed and polished.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

no, it's a decal, but it's sooooo old and sun baked on that it won't come off and even what we got off, the outline still shows lol

Thanks Seven for the link, I'm ordering one now!!!

Yep an eraser wheel will work , see the recommended rpm’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat4Shay View Post
    and even what we got off, the outline still shows lol
    The decal has been protecting the transom from the sun. You will have that outline for a long time.
    Some folk have tried rubbing the paint to help it match with fair to poor results.

If the new name and old outline won't work, Re-painting the transom is the usual plan.
    A whole vinyl transom could be an idea also.

I lived on the Huckins dock for 10 years. Was very common to have a boat on the hill a couple/few days getting a new transom finish & new name.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 04-09-2024 at 01:31 PM.

I do this kind of stuff for a living and use a steamer in most situations. Adhesive remover and wheels will burn the paint, if not careful. We use the wheel when no one cares about the paint below. The wheel product gets everywhere too.

https://jiffysteamer.com/jiffy-steam...YaArPfEALw_wcB

You can probably find something like this for less.

Oven cleaner. Be sure to read and follow precautions on label it’s some nasty stuff.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I've always used oven cleaner on a painted name and a heat gun on a decal. Just be careful with the heat gun that you don't scorch the paint.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI