Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water Tanks not filling up

I have a 1981 61' MY model that got extended to 70' cpmy.

I went back on the water tank recently and I run out of water ever couple days. I'm not a big water user, so I bought a flowmeter and tracked the amount of water going into the system.

It overflowed at 58.9 gallons. This explains why I run out so fast, but I'm supposed to have 350 gallon total capacity divided between two tanks.

Any help on how to get them filled up would be really appreciated!!!

Or.... just thought of this, maybe it drops to a certain point on the tank and won't hold pressure? (makes no sense, but it's a possibilty).

Re: Water Tanks not filling up

I assume your running out of water because the pumps goes dry.
    I'm assuming also that you are full when the tank fill overflows.

Is there a tank monitor or level gauge(s?)?

First SWAG, broke/leaking pick up tube in the tank.

If the pickup tube is copper, it probably has a hole or is broken off entirely due to corrosion.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Guages don't seem to work... =( That's on my list, but I never thought about the copper pick up. ugh. That would be a really logical explaination.

How would I find and fix that?

Shay
    Quote Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky Too View Post
    If the pickup tube is copper, it probably has a hole or is broken off entirely due to corrosion.

Well, I'm assumed I ran out of water because the water stops coming out of the faucet. lol

My guages don't seem to work, so I've got that on my list to address, but the water flowmeter seemed like a good, quick and dirty way to see how much I was really putting in, which would help in finding the issue.

The broken pick up tube totally explains it. But not sure how to find/fix and... how much of an issue is it if there is a piece left in there? Will it affect my water?

Shay

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I assume your running out of water because the pumps goes dry.
    I'm assuming also that you are full when the tank fill overflows.

Is there a tank monitor or level gauge(s?)?

First SWAG, broke/leaking pick up tube in the tank.

Find the service plate on the water tank top.
    Here the vent, feed and maybe the tank level sender should be close.

Pending on what the factory felt like on the day your tank was built; The pick up should be serviceable from the outside without removing the whole plate.

First remove the gauge and stick the tank. Then you'll know if there is water in there or not. Report back.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

On my boat, the freshwater pump was loosing it's prime due to a very very small leak in the engine room. once the water in the tank got lower the pump was not able to lift the water enough to reprime the pump. I finally found the slight drip, then added a check valve at the pump to prevent any further loss of prime.

Good luck

Red face Re: Water Tanks not filling up

Try to lay eyes on the whole pump suction line from the tank to the pump. Mine has a filter. A mostly clogged filter would present the same symptoms. So would suction side check valve that isn’t opening all the way when pump is running. Then when level goes down a little (call it 50-60 gallons) there isn’t enough water height to overcome the obstruction (filter or check valve) and suitably supply the pump. Google NPSH.

Try operation with the water fill cap removed. You may have a blocked water tank air vent and are building up a vacuum inside the tank. When you hit 60 galloins, the pump can pump no more.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.