Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

CAT Marine Power Display Repair

My display has degraded over time including a fading backlight and now is indicating failed communication from the Engine. I have paralleled in a J1939 monitoring circuit, at the CAT display connector, to my Garmin MFD and it continues to show good data from this engine.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for repair / overhaul of these CAT displays? I have heard Caterpillar has an exchange program for these units, do they program the display to replicate the screens that were in the returned core unit?

I am located in San Diego, but would ship it anywhere in US if needed.

Re: CAT Marine Power Display Repair

Have you checked with Ernie at Dependable Marine. If anyone would know he would.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Could be wrong but think the CAT MPD programming is stored in the on engine ECM so you should be plug and play. You would have to research to be sure.
    Had a friend use GaugeSaver in Northern Florida to repair his MPD. Pretty sure there's other outfits as well, try searching Ebay, possibly Max Marine Electronics in Pompano too.
    Would love to have the program and cables to hook up my laptop to our CATs although not exactly sure what I would do with it..
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I asked my cat guy about these displays for a pair of C32s and he said they had to be programmed. I never did it as the issue was just the back lit at night and lived with it till the boat sold …

To make you feel better, last year I was quoted $21k for an MTU display or $11k for a factory rebuilt. I ended up getting repaired for a bargain price of $4500.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat