Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cap or hand rail replacement

Hello everyone. Have any of you used the plastic or fake wood material commonly used in house decking to replace the cap or hand rails? How did it turn out? Does it look or feel cheap? Is there a high gloss version to mimic a nice varnish job?
    Slainte
    1988 - 67' CPMY
    Houston, Texas

Re: Cap or hand rail replacement

That material will flex, bow, and twist in hot weather. That’s why deck builders have to put the Joists on 12 inch centers. Please don’t do this.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Check out the new Fleming yachts. They have as an option a synthetic material for there wood rails and it looks fantastic. Not sure what it is but I am sure that is crazy expensive.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Check out the new Fleming yachts. They have as an option a synthetic material for there wood rails and it looks fantastic. Not sure what it is but I am sure that is crazy expensive.
    They claim its proprietary. Doubt you'll find out anything about it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Haha I saw and had the same question of the Fleming folks at a recent boat show!

At first read my response would have been, that and some beadboard and she’ll look spiffy. However reading the comments about the product that Fleming uses I’m curious. What would the benefit be in using a synthetic material? Does it come pre-varnished and never need touching up? In your case would there be a cost benefit to removing and re-installing all of the old teak, milling and finishing the new material?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    They claim its proprietary. Doubt you'll find out anything about it.
    I called FLEMING about that product. The person said it would be cheaper to pay a full time varnish guy.