Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hand Rail Refinish Question

So IOLANI is in dire need of handrail refinish. The marina where we keep her moored in the summer is not really conducive to a lot of noise and dust from power tool scrapping /sanding. The marina that has her up on the hard has strict rules which prohibit any sanding or painting unless you use their services.

I was looking at it today and thinking if I added a splice just forward of the aft deck (red cut line in top photo) I would be able to remove the vast majority of it, have it refinished in a shop setting and then put it back in place. The remaining aft section I could handle at the marina with hand sanding and scraping.

The splice could be made using another pair of hinge sockets or similar, with future removal facilitated by simply driving out the pin.

Would there be any downside to making this modification ? Seems it would sure make life simpler for me.

IMG_9696.jpg

IMG_9691.jpg
    Last edited by IOLANI; 03-31-2024 at 09:19 PM.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Re: Hand Rail Refinish Question

I would take it to your nearest anchorage then run the generator and electric sand it

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    I would take it to your nearest anchorage then run the generator and electric sand it
    Same. Did this while traveling up the Missouri years ago. Passes the time and no one to bother you.

Way too much work to remove them. Go anchor out and do it on the hook
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

From the side doors forward remove and do in a shop in the off season. The rest do at anchor or while cruising.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I agree with Rusty, just did mine. The forward section to the gates is easy to remove and you end up with a much better finish on the bottom of the rail.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Last time we used heat to remove the old finish.Much faster than sanding, although it still needs some sanding. Not as messy as chemical stripping. Chemical strippers don’t work very well these days.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Oh for f*ck's sake don't do that. You will end up losing some of the hardware, and it'll never go back 100% the way it was. I made this mistake on my Chris-Craft. Never again. It's not that hard to just do it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    From the side doors forward remove and do in a shop in the off season. The rest do at anchor or while cruising.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I agree with Rusty, just did mine. The forward section to the gates is easy to remove and you end up with a much better finish on the bottom of the rail.
    I see this as a fair compromise and the best course of action for me. The labor to remove and replace the forward handrail sections has to be easier than trying to scrape and sand and properly refinish the bottom side while still attached to the posts.

Thanks to all for your input.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

I have removed mine twice. Not a big deal but you may need to heat the front fittings to release the 5200.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI