Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: New Here - Prospective 71 Hatteras

Any gasoline engine boat owner will have to face this problem. Most Hatteras yachts above 36 feet were fitted with diesels. Ethanol is not used in diesel fuel. If you have a gasoline-engine boat with the original tanks, you either change the tanks, change out the engines and genset, or you plan on using non-ethanol fuel and nothing else, ever. (that last is not practical unless you boat in a very small area and are well-supplied with marinas which sell non-ethanol fuel)

Try to find a boat which has either had the tanks replaced, or has tanks made of a material impervious to ethanol. If your object is to find a boat you can use, not an immediate project, I think that is your best bet.

As Jim said the issue is only with the few small hatteras under 36’. Everything else was diesel and not affected by ethanol

Jim, is ethanol free gas hard to find in your area? It s at every fuel dock in sofl and many road gas station sell it (rec90) as well
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    As Jim said the issue is only with the few small hatteras under 36’. Everything else was diesel and not affected by ethanol

Jim, is ethanol free gas hard to find in your area? It s at every fuel dock in sofl and many road gas station sell it (rec90) as well
    We’re lucky
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by gtacri71 View Post
    $26k, initially accepted $24k, then $23,500 bottom line; my offer was what I indicated prior to viewing in person; I then said I thought overall I believed it to be a $20k boat; I have viewed a couple others of same model without the fly bridge for $15k; like I said; I respect the owner and what he feels about his boat; I guess time will tell; someone may offer what he's asking and that is great.
    I hope that you won't take this the wrong way but...

He wants $23.5k and you are firm on $20k?

I think you are making the right decision in not buying it, but not for the reason that you may think.

Basically, that $3.5k is not make or break, especially over a couple of years of ownership, imo.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Non-ethanol gasoline is at all Great Lakes fuel docks and many gas stations all around Michigan. Its not a problem here but even with that being the case, you just don't know what previous owners have done. As a buyer you have to investigate it well. The owner may have tried to go cheap and hauled cans of ethanol gas to the boat in the past.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Appreciate all the replies; I left my offer on the table at $20k and told them to let me know if anything changes; I did get a real good feeling from speaking with the current owner that he was disciplined in using the Ethanol Free Fuel since his ownership in 2001; the previous owner, I couldn't say what went on other than the current owner had no real issues.

Switching gears a little bit; what would be your target boat if you had about $25k to spend??

Maybe I just need to admit my budget doesn't allow for this size of boat in the proper condition? I currently have my eyes on an 1988 Chris Craft 33'; looks like it needs some interior updates, but lower hours around 580 on twin 454's; could be a decent buy and fit our needs.

Looked at a couple Chris Craft Commanders but most have high engine hours which is to be expected. Maybe someday I can get the budget to grab a bigger Hatteras; love the build quality and reputation.

I know that you have kind of moved on from this boat but, I would be more concerned about the Chris craft engines and paragon reduction gears. Both are obsolete and parts are practically non-existent. You can get aftermarket manifolds and risers but that’s some pretty old iron to maintain.I wouldn’t think about buying a boat that old without hauling it out and seeing if the shafts, props and rudders are not compromised by galvanic corrosion.
    Last edited by dsharp; 04-02-2024 at 10:27 PM.

Good point; during my search I have always been a little more favored toward the Chrysler 318s / 454s; from owning my Egg with 318s with velvet drives almost everything could be located with the exception of my "duel" raw water pumps which I had to rebuild with a kit.

Prices are coming down I’d look for a 34 it’s a lot more boat and a real tank. Fuel tanks if they became an issue are much easier to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by gtacri71 View Post
    Appreciate all the replies; I left my offer on the table at $20k and told them to let me know if anything changes; I did get a real good feeling from speaking with the current owner that he was disciplined in using the Ethanol Free Fuel since his ownership in 2001; the previous owner, I couldn't say what went on other than the current owner had no real issues.

Switching gears a little bit; what would be your target boat if you had about $25k to spend??

Maybe I just need to admit my budget doesn't allow for this size of boat in the proper condition? I currently have my eyes on an 1988 Chris Craft 33'; looks like it needs some interior updates, but lower hours around 580 on twin 454's; could be a decent buy and fit our needs.

Looked at a couple Chris Craft Commanders but most have high engine hours which is to be expected. Maybe someday I can get the budget to grab a bigger Hatteras; love the build quality and reputation.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Pascal, it's available, but not everywhere. If I still had gasoline engines in my boat, I'd have to plan every trip based on where I could find ethanol-free fuel; I've never tried to do that, I am glad to say.