Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Here - Prospective 71 Hatteras

Hello All,

After much research I reached this forum as part of my decision making process in possibly purchasing a 1971 Hatteras. I recently sold our 1974 Egg Harbor after several years of trying to keep up with the wood cabin and window issues; the boat had potential but more work than I wished to continue with.

My wife and I traveled to view/inspect this 71 Hatteras which has been owned and cared for by an older couple in the MI area for approx. 20 years. I initially focused in on the fiberglass fuel tank on the boat, as I had read lots of information of these being compromised due to ethanol fuels. I was able to inspect four sides of the tanks exterior for any leaks ect; but the backside of the tank was up against a bulkhead or divider, so I could not view. I was able to pull a fuel sample from the filter with plans to send off for testing.

You could tell the owners did their best to care for the boat during their ownership; the boat (per the owner) has been kept up mechanically and had some nice updates to include ac/heat. An Onan Generator was also noted, but the owner said he did not use regularly but kept it serviced/winterized even though not used much.

Coming from a Sport Fish style boat, we felt the layout was much different on this boat and we were trying to see if it was a good fit for us; we liked the open feel of the back deck to the helm and the cabin space was nice; the owner had purchased recent canvas that could close off the back deck; also the are behind the helm could be divided off for protection should the weather turn bad.

Probably the most disappointing part was the very small size of the flybridge compared to a sport fisher design; It seems like on the Express style boats they were more or less optional; have seen some with and some without. I envisioned possibly making this bigger at some point but am looking for less work not more.

I was most impressed with the stout build quality of the boat and the history of being very seaworthy vessel compared to most production boats.

So after much contemplation and discussion we ended up offering a few thousand dollars less than our (unseen) original negotiated price; the owner(s) at that point declines our offer.

We were offering $20k for this 1971 Hatteras. The engines were noted to have approx. 600 hours on them; they are Chevy 350's with Christ Craft Marine components/Paragram Transmissions.

While I respect the owners (very nice and transparent folks) for possibly waiting for the buyers that will pay top dollar; I wonder if I am being unrealistic with our figures for what this boat is; IF purchased we would have to transport the boat on the water approx. 250 miles from MI to Erie, Pa.; could be a very pleasant trip to take.

Since our offer was declined I have continued my search and planned to look at other models to include Trojans, Sea Rays, Carver ect....

Any insight the folks here may have (good, bad, indifferent) would be great.

Thanks!

Greg
    Erie, Pa.

Re: New Here - Prospective 71 Hatteras

Hard to comment since you didn’t tell us which model you re looking at. Hatteras has a number of models back in 1971…. Being a gasser I m guessing it a smaller one but which one?

Yes ethanol can, and likely will, damage older fuel tanks. Ethanol feee gas is available in many areas but is it what has been used?

Personally I would not buy a gas boat. I be had a couple early on but diesel is really the way to go for safety reasons. Also hatteras even the small ones are heavy and need torque unless you plan to run at slow speed (7 kts)

If you do get a gasser, make sure you have a fume detector in the engine bay as wall as a fire extinguishing system. And Carbon monoxide detectors.

As to other options, you can’t compare with old carvers or sea rays. Not even close.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Apologies, boat is a 1971 31 foot express with flybridge; not sure on exact model; I know current owner states ONLY ethanol free fuel used for past 20 years; I believe him; no real engine issues or fuel problems.

Understand your point with the gas boats; I don't think I could afford the acquisition of a diesel powered boat let alone the cost to upkeep those engines; buddy of mine has a 42 Oceans and swears every component on his turbo charged diesels is out of this world; he wants to return to gas powered due to cost.

Hatteras does have all the safety points you mentioned, Fire Boy, fume detector ect....Not looking to go fast; Egg Harbor the best we got was 18knts.

The model name is 31 cruiser. scroll up to the top of the forum page and click on Model Brochures and youll see a vintage advertisement for a non flying bridge model. Its a storied hull for certain with its relation to vietnam era PBR's and goes pretty good. Its a hatteras in all respects so it will far surpass the other brands your considering for build quality and interior joinery. A lot of time has elapsed since it was new though but the structure will always be better than the other brands. I think the owner may be unrealistic with his pricing unless he's just testing the waters and doesnt truly intend to sell. Lots of people, read wives, just dont want an extremely sturdy and well engineered old boat but rather want glitz and perceived prestige with something flashier. Keep after the seller, I doubt buyers are beating a path to his door for it 600 hours is past mid life for gas small blocks and depending how old they are with those 600 hours it could mean a lot. four or five year old with 600 hours-great, 25 years old with 600 hours-not so great. Its been a long time since chris craft marinized engines. Closed or open cooling systems?

Raw water cooled; port side engine was rebuild soon after his ownership as the crank shaft had issues causing entire engine to rebuild. Wife and I love the older vintage boats and if I learned anything from this inspection/review; I think my next boat will definitely be a Hatteras; just not sure which model or vintage I could actually afford?

Like I said, I offered the owner a final offer of $20k which included a dinghy with motor; not rally sure if that was even too much. I have viewed a refit 36' refit boat in Jersey, but the trouble is getting it back home; I guess I will see if the owner starts to have a change of heart after prime selling season has pasted.

If anyone has suggestions for smaller Hatteras models to include in our search.

Thanks

What was his ask? It’s hard to say if fair offer or not without that

$26k, initially accepted $24k, then $23,500 bottom line; my offer was what I indicated prior to viewing in person; I then said I thought overall I believed it to be a $20k boat; I have viewed a couple others of same model without the fly bridge for $15k; like I said; I respect the owner and what he feels about his boat; I guess time will tell; someone may offer what he's asking and that is great.

Replacing the fuel tanks in that boat would be very expensive and a prolonged project. But if ethanol fuel is used in those tanks, they will degrade and leak and menace both your lives and your bank account.

It would be worth trying to find another boat where someone has already done the tanks with either metal tanks or modern ones with ethanol-resistant resin. You might also see if you could find a Bertram in that size range, like a 28. More of them were made, I'm pretty sure, so your chance of finding one where the ethanol issue has already been addressed is better.

In my opinion a 31 hatt of that vintage that has not had the tanks done has a value of almost zero. I think you dodged a bullet. I love the boats but you need to be realistic. The tanks will fail. 31 CC commanders of the same vintage are readily available for less and do not have the tank issue.

I respect your insight; never owned one, but was very impressed with build quality and I had an Egg Harbor. Like I stated I was able to check the exterior of the tank on most sides it was situated in front of the steering mechanisms not far from stern; I know I could not inspect the interior of tank, I was able to pull a fuel sample from the filter and had I proceeded would have sent it for evaluation. So IS IT fair to say that everyone that purchases a vintage Hatteras has addressed the tanks? I see a lot of older boats that look to be in great shape going for big $$ that must also have the tank issue? I imagine they are all in the same situation; I am fairly comfortable that the owner has always used Ethanol free fuel; he has not had issues and owned for 20 years; I guess I will see if owner becomes more negotiable as time goes on?