Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Resetting railings, need epoxy advice

Please, talk to me like a simpleton, I feel like one with all of these new projects

I have some wobbly railing stantion posts on my flybridge. I have read other posts that I need to drill out the existing holes larger than they are now, fill them with epoxy, then redrill new holes.

What type of epoxy do I use? Simple 2 part stuff or something tricky? Also, the stantions are on a raised area that I have no underneath access. So, if I put epoxy into the new holes, it will just goop down into the void. How do I keep it in the newly formed hole to harden?

Any advice appreciated.
    Nathan McAfee
    Ocean Sloth
    1990 Hatteras 54' EDMY

Re: Resetting railings, need epoxy advice

Screwed in railings or thru bolted?

Screwed in
    Nathan McAfee
    Ocean Sloth
    1990 Hatteras 54' EDMY

Quote Originally Posted by nmcafee View Post
    Screwed in
    Just epoxy filling the holes does not offer the strongest fix.

If you must just fill the holes, use a high density filler in the epoxy.
    Mask tape everything but the screw holes.
    Drill out any loose old material, don't get carried aweigh here, just getting the loose stuff out of the screw holes.
    If it is wet wood, use a syringe with de-natured alcohol and pour it in, the next day do it again. I have learned the trapped water may evaporate out with the alcohol.
    When real dry, use a syringe for deep insertion of a few drops of un-thickened epoxy, then a syringe of the thickened epoxy mix.
    Pre-drill the screw holes to the size of the screw shank so just the screw threads cut in and grip.

Wish you could back plate them or at least thru bolt with good backing washers.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 03-31-2024 at 12:37 AM.