Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Hynautic Steering - Need Advice

The manual may state that but do you need that pressure? our systems are the same, its only the cubic foot of the pumps that are different. . I don't need that pressure for the system to operate correctly. do you have power steering?

I guess I'm not sure. There's a 20-year-old embossed label on the bulkhead next to he cylinder that reads "30psi." Previous owner said he kept it at 40 because that was the only way to get the upper helm to stop weeping. When we found the excessive leakage today I went down to depressurize the system and it was about 20, which to me reads as "as pressure falls, leakage rises."
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

I think mine just reached a state of happy equilibrium and I'd rather not fix it if it isn't truly broke. That said I wasn't confident enough to rebuild mine, I purchased new. My understanding is they are pretty complex and cannot tolerate any dirt of any size internally.

When I repowered a few years ago I used this guy to rebuilt both helms and ram. Reasonable, about a week turnaround. Wasn’t worth trying to do it myself. Others here have used them too

https://www.boaterstore.com/
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Some Information that might help. The top O-ring replacement is fairly straight forward. Do Not take the unit completely apart.

20240331_111141_resized (005).jpg20240331_111233_resized.jpg

Caesars Ghost
    1980 58YF Hull#472

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    When I repowered a few years ago I used this guy to rebuilt both helms and ram. Reasonable, about a week turnaround. Wasn’t worth trying to do it myself. Others here have used them too

https://www.boaterstore.com/
    x2 on this. I tried doing myself and wound up taking mine to Southern Charm/boaterstore.com Here is a link to my troubles with doing this myself

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...ight=helm+seal

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    x2 on this. I tried doing myself and wound up taking mine to Southern Charm/boaterstore.com Here is a link to my troubles with doing this myself

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...ight=helm+seal
    x3 on southern charm.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Contact Marine Control Systems Inc , they are in Franklin , NC 828-508-4201 , email is
    marinecontrol@frontier.com Rebuilt my flybridge helm last year. Excellent communication and service. About a week turn around at the time...
    1985 61MY #369 / Redonna Gail / N Myrtle Beach SC

Quote Originally Posted by skinners1 View Post
    Contact Marine Control Systems Inc , they are in Franklin , NC 828-508-4201 , email is
    marinecontrol@frontier.com Rebuilt my flybridge helm last year. Excellent communication and service. About a week turn around at the time...
    This company rebuilt my steering cylinder, did a great job and gave me good advice . I would highly recommend.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Lots of issues in failed rebuilds of helms and rams is from damaged shafts not being perfectly smooth.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E