Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Hynautic Steering - Need Advice

I'd do that if the seal kit came with any instructions. Unfortunately all you get is a bag of O-rings and an exploded view.
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

Funny observation;
    You may have already received your helm pump back from one of the mentioned shops by now.
    You could be mobile,, already..

Lets go water skiing, You go first..

Yeah but then I'd be no smarter...just broke-er.

If I can't figure it out I'll send it in. We're not planning on leaving the dock again until June, so I've got plenty of time.
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

OK, I have good news and weird news. And a couple of questions.

First the good news: the disassembly was a piece of cake. Mostly. Two of the threaded studs are frozen, but I ordered some replacements this morning along with some new stainless cap nuts so it will all look snazzy when it goes back together. I think I have a small issue with the disassembly, but I will get to that in a moment.

Next the weird news: I seem to be missing a component. According to the exploded view, there is a thrust bearing sandwiched between two plates. I am missing one of those plates. I am not sure if it is the thick plate or the thin plate, but I used a pair of calipers to measure it so I can contact the manufacturer and order the correct replacement part. The plate I do have is installed below the thrust bearing.

And now for the questions: first, the seal kit as drawn in the exploded view includes three O-rings, but there are only two O-rings on my current setup. I suspect the third O-ring goes inside the part marked with the red arrow, but I cannot figure out how to remove that part from the shaft. or possibly, it goes where the green arrow is drawn, installed from the back side… Any tips?

Next, when we removed the pump from the bulkhead, there was a thin piece of material between the two. I hesitate to call it a gasket, because it seems to be made of some sort of thick, waxed paper. It’s fairly chewed up, and that part is not shown in any of the drawings I have. Anyone have any idea what it might be for? Am I OK to reinstall the pump without it? Or should I try to find some similar material and homebrew a new one? IMG_1057.jpgIMG_8569.jpgIMG_1061.jpg
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

These pumps disassemble from the rear if you want to get to all the parts .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL