Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Galleymaid Windlass question

1981 42 LRC

Original Galleymaid vertical windlass with 3/8" BBB chain. Looking to replace the rode with 3/8" G4.

The concern is the compatibility of the wildcat accepting the G4. Anyone have experience going down this rabbit hole?

Re: Galleymaid Windlass question

You ll need to replace the chain gypsy, different shape links. Why not stick with BBB
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

You will need new chain Gypsy for sure if you chang chain. I had G4 chain and a mismatched gypsy (some random size that was custom size chain from Hatteras used from factory years ago apparently!) and it made retrieving the anchor legit unsafe. I cut a foot of chain and sent it to Galley Maid and they sent me a new matching gypsy and the upper and lower friction plate which made sense to replace while it was apart. Now all is good for my Mantus. Very helpful support from galley Maid

Quote Originally Posted by firbanks View Post
    You will need new chain Gypsy for sure if you chang chain. I had G4 chain and a mismatched gypsy (some random size that was custom size chain from Hatteras used from factory years ago apparently!) and it made retrieving the anchor legit unsafe. I cut a foot of chain and sent it to Galley Maid and they sent me a new matching gypsy and the upper and lower friction plate which made sense to replace while it was apart. Now all is good for my Mantus. Very helpful support from galley Maid
    GalleyMaid is pretty on-the-spot. They sent me the original windlass manual for my windlass, as a PDF on request.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL