Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Wiring/lightng question- 110volt to 12volt AC... is this Hatteras Normal?

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    I know this isn't what you asked, but there have been a lot of boat fires from those ceiling-mounted halogen lights, especially if you have a padded headliner. They sure do look pretty when they're lit up, but I wouldn't be real comfortable leaving them unattended for very long. They get very hot.
    I've seen that in other forums, but I also had the issue with the G4 LED lights "detonating" as well as the Marlowe in our marina having the same issue. My halogens got hot, but never seemed to get hot enough to combust. Would I be out of line in suggesting that instead of inserting LED "will-fits" maybe replace the actual light fixture instead? More work and more $$ but more peace of mind at the same time. It was on my to-do forecast (instead of a to-do list, it was more like a weather forecast - It will happen but maybe not as planned).
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay... got side tracked with the NIGHTMARE of replacing washer and dryer lolol Had to remove my beautiful art glass off the stairs and it was a 2 hour hair raising process!!!

For now, I'm using a lamp lol The halogens are SO hot and even though I used them for months in blissful ignorance, now I'm afraid of them. No, 7volts with dimmers on high. Maybe it's the light switches not letting enough through? They are super old. Should I try replacing one and see if I get the full 12 volts? But, the new leds are dimmable, but they state they will not work under 12volts. https://amzn.to/3xtNuCc to see the exact ones I bought.

We did measure the voltage in the socket, but we figured it must be wrong and so we measured at the switch. Imagine my surprise when I finally found a bulb with writing I could read and it said 12volts lolol

For dc, I bought these, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. they only fit certain fixtures. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CGNV6DM...t_details&th=1
    I have found PO did some 32 to 12v stepdowns, so some of my DC is now 12 not 32.

SOOOOO glad to hear that off the shelf switches are ok, especially on the 110ac lights... I just replaced all the cabins and pilot house with these and I LOVE them. https://amzn.to/3TZU3Fs Smart wifi dimmers I have set up on Alexa... so nice. They look slick and work great. I chose matte black because the ivory and white stick out like sore thumbs on the dark wood. lol

And I did all the above waist height receptacles (pilot house, salon bar) and cabins with these https://amzn.to/49hz4m4 and I love them, too.

I have been wondering about DC switches... can I use these for them? Non dimming- https://amzn.to/3xiNmWd

I don't know if I have any DC that dim. Have been going room to room and checking each one before replacing. I have been unsure of what I could use for DC, so I stick to my rule... if in doubt, don't!

Cheers
    Shay
    ps
    another drivng lesson on Friday... beware student driver on the New River lol
    Last edited by Hat4Shay; 04-03-2024 at 02:41 PM.

When I redo headliner, I am replacing the light fixtures. I just wanted something to get my by for a few months. I'm not going back with fabric... I want to do something like the new boats do- solid panels that clip in so they won't ever sag or mildew again and easy access for future work. =-) But since I'm still finishing up systems, that's a few months off at least. =-)

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    I've seen that in other forums, but I also had the issue with the G4 LED lights "detonating" as well as the Marlowe in our marina having the same issue. My halogens got hot, but never seemed to get hot enough to combust. Would I be out of line in suggesting that instead of inserting LED "will-fits" maybe replace the actual light fixture instead? More work and more $$ but more peace of mind at the same time. It was on my to-do forecast (instead of a to-do list, it was more like a weather forecast - It will happen but maybe not as planned).

The ones I bought were different... I'm going to order some of these and see if the work. =-)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I ve replaced about 300 halogens with these in the 116. They’re pretty good and work with our dimmers as well as Lutron

https://a.co/d/awPmR4h

I think I do have the diagrams, so I'll look at those. Seems crazy to me that they dropped from 110ac to 12volt ac lol

Thanks for answering! Long time no chat, Capt Ralph!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    You have transformers scattered thru the boat.
    The switches and dimmers supply power to the step down transformers that provide the 12 (24v?) to the light outlets.
    This is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat4Shay View Post
    The ones I bought were different... I'm going to order some of these and see if the work. =-)

Thanks!
    These cheap bulbs are often hit or miss. I be used others which didn’t last.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Update: I had the company that installed all these lights come out... they couldn't find the transformers.

I called Ed at Sam's, who referred me to an electrician who told me where to look, but they are not there. So, I shot him a picture of my diagram... I do not have factory installed transformers for the lights according to the diagram.

So, logically, the step down must be between the switch (which has 110 going in and out) and the fixture which is only getting the 7-8volts. So, I pulled down the first fixture closest to the switches and low and behold, two transformers (slightly different models) under the fixture. So, I pulled the cans down on the other circuit, no transformer. I'm guessingthe two under the light is one for port and one for starboard.

They are using 14 guage wire butt connected to the tiny wires of the fixtures. They are strung together 4 lights to a circuit/switch.

I am going to replace all these lights anyway with LED fixtures, can I get rid of these transformers and go straight 110?
    20240422_163934.jpg20240422_171426.jpg
    Last edited by Hat4Shay; 04-23-2024 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typo

You should be able to. did you ever find your transformers? i sent you a text .
    Tony1975 64ft Hatteras MY"Escape Plan"Ft. Pierce, Fl.

I got your text, but I didn't go down in genny room and look. However, I do remember seeing those down there, starboard side of the gennies. =-)

These are what I was looking for. =-) thanks for answering!

How is are the stairs working?
    Quote Originally Posted by ESCAPE PLAN View Post
    You should be able to. did you ever find your transformers? i sent you a text .

Installing brackets this weekend!
    Tony1975 64ft Hatteras MY"Escape Plan"Ft. Pierce, Fl.