Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Upgrading Naiad stabilzers to digital controls

Has anyone upgraded their old mechanical gyro Naiads to the newer digital controls? I'm in the process now and wondered how much improvement was realized.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Upgrading Naiad stabilzers to digital controls

Following

I was quoted about $20K is that close?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Following

I was quoted about $20K is that close?
    Not looking for cost since I already have the kit. Looking for performance reviews. And yes, the cost is around that amount. I was quoted $19k from DMS and $24K from Wesmar. Naiad was not interested in quoting because apparently they are too busy to mess with it.
    Sky Cheney

When I put mine in 3 years ago they came with the Multisea controls and I could have had the full digital control for about $5000 more but the Naiad guys did not think it was worth the extra money. I have been on 2 boats now with the Multisea controls and neither one, including mine could they get the slow speed cut off feature to work from a GPS input and I had at the time a brand new Garmin MFD.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    When I put mine in 3 years ago they came with the Multisea controls and I could have had the full digital control for about $5000 more but the Naiad guys did not think it was worth the extra money. I have been on 2 boats now with the Multisea controls and neither one, including mine could they get the slow speed cut off feature to work from a GPS input and I had at the time a brand new Garmin MFD.
    My feedback from Naiad was the same about not much difference in control and I did not do with the digital controls either during my install in 2022.

My slow speed cut off feature does work with my Garmin. Anything below 3 knots and it goes into STANDBY and then automatically resumes control when speed increases about 3 knots.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

I'm not to familiar with these digital controls.
    Just once helping on a boat that got hit by lightning. What an expensive mess.

Questions; Is it a big deal for auto cut off below 3 kts?
    What other benefits does a digital controller offer?

Anything worth more than 5 bux vs manually pushing the center button manually?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I'm not to familiar with these digital controls.
    Just once helping on a boat that got hit by lightning. What an expensive mess.

Questions; Is it a big deal for auto cut off below 3 kts?
    What other benefits does a digital controller offer?

Anything worth more than 5 bux vs manually pushing the center button manually?
    My understanding is that the stabilizer fins are basically non-effective below 3 knots and the system is basically just thrashing about. Pushing the CENTER button would achieve the same result.

My perspective is that most captains are too busy with other "things" to consistently monitor vessel speed to the point when it's below 3 knots and the thought is to CENTER the fins.... but that's just conjecture on my part....
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Going from a mechanical gyro to a modern multi-axis electronic control gives you more than just a system that senses roll once it has started. It looks at roll, pitch, and yaw which is necessary to stabilize in following seas. The newer controls, including the multi-sea, also allow for sensitivity and trim adjustment at the helm while underway. With the digital control, any other adjustment can be made in the programming setup including the centering and acceleration, stops, etc to each individual fin. With the old hydraulic gyro there was just a tee in the line so both fins reacted the same.

Plus, the digital controls record the fin response and compare it to the output from the computer. A log is kept to see how close the fins follow what they were commanded to do. This information can be used to further tweak the system and get it dialed in. It can be downloaded and sent to the manufacturer if needed.

Another feature is an automatic sensitivity adjustment that changes depending the vessel speed. So there are plenty of pluses to the upgrade beside programmable centering minimum and maximum limits . Not to mention the fewer hydraulic lines and no feedback assemblies to leak and maintain.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 03-27-2024 at 05:29 PM.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    My understanding is that the stabilizer fins are basically non-effective below 3 knots and the system is basically just thrashing about. Pushing the CENTER button would achieve the same result.

My perspective is that most captains are too busy with other "things" to consistently monitor vessel speed to the point when it's below 3 knots and the thought is to CENTER the fins.... but that's just conjecture on my part....
    I was just raised and in practice to center them when around docks or other maneuvers.
    I would not know how to act if anything on any boat was automatic.

So, That is all a digital controller does?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I was just raised and in practice to center them when around docks or other maneuvers.
    I would not know how to act if anything on any boat was automatic.

So, That is all a digital controller does?
    No. See post before yours.
    Sky Cheney