Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bahamas (Abaco's) anchoring

What kind of bottom? I have had good luck with true Danforth (Guardian aluminum) in FL in sand. I know how to set and bury it. Plus I have a large (same type) stern anchor that I can take way out and drop where I want with the dinghy. We will only be anchoring in fair weather in locations of reduced or little current. So only thing to basically worry about are pop up storms. I was thinking go to a big Bruce as recommended but do I need to? Plus I am very familiar with setting the Danforth.

Should I explore new anchor type as must have or am I better off with what I have and am familiar with?
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: Bahamas (Abaco's) anchoring

Problem with danforth is that sometimes they don’t reset on a current switch especially if grass is involved.

I m a big fan of Bruce/Claw anchors. Been using them for years and years everywhere from cape cod to the Exumas. The key though, like any anchor is to over size it. I ve used a 110 pounder on a 70 and a 176 on an 84. They ve held us in some real nasty blows.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We had a danforth aluminum and I would never recommend it in the Bahamas. We used it at Great Sale Cay once. It wound up bouncing across the bottom. When I pulled it up it was a ball of sand and grass. Wound up with a delta (larger than spec'd) that worked well enough.
    I'd vote to leave that danforth home.
    Regards
    Dan

Is the bottom loose sand and grass?
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Most of the times in the Bahamas the bottom is sand, often with grass. Except in areas with current where it s rock and hard to get a set, it s noted as scoured on the charts

In 15 years and probably over 1000 sets I can count on the finger of one hand the number of times the Bruce didn’t set on the first time.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have used real Danforth 35HT steel anchors for years in the Bahamas. Almost always set except sometimes where large balls of grass roots get caught between the points, another time where I caught an underwater lawn chair. I use all nylon rode. Drop anchor, fall back with wind or current letting out +/- 50 ft of line, hand tug until you feel it grip, then back down gently to be sure it is set. Then I release 10X (water depth plus 8 ft. bow height) (I am not that good at math!) Back it in with reasonable reverse. Since many Bahamas anchorages have strong tidal currents I usually do a Bahamian moor, taking a second 35HT from the bow chock outside the rail to the stern, dropping back on the bow anchor line another 50 ft or so, drop the second, now stern, anchor, pull boat ahead on the capstan while tightening the stern line until positioned in the center. You will pivot around this point with tide changes. No bowsprit on the 50MY so always some hand work getting the anchor in.

I usually use reverse to pull my primary anchor deep into the bottom until the flukes are buried. Sometimes nothing of the anchor shows at all, just rode going into sand. Have to use the engine to get it out, capstan and often a brief hard reverse to wash the debris off. Never had one of these pull out. Keep a 60HT for storms but haven't had to use it in years.

I usually swim the anchors to be sure they are set. Many cuts between the shallow bank and the deeper offshore places are nothing but scoured out coral. Your set as above will feel fine but you are only hooked on a bit of rock. I don't think any anchor can hold you safely there. You are better off behind an island in the sand where you can be secure.

Sailboats use all chain rodes and swing differently than a power boat on chain or nylon. I like lots of room to swing. My GPS has an anchor drag alarm which I try to remember to set at the anchor drop point not after anchor is set.

There is nothing better than being in a secure anchorage, preferably without another boat or light in sight in the Bahamas, to justify owning a boat. Enjoy it!
    Last edited by Fanfare; 03-27-2024 at 06:17 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

A friend has a 44 pound Delta I am going to try. I looked at the 66 pound claw and it just looks way too big and heavy.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    A friend has a 44 pound Delta I am going to try. I looked at the 66 pound claw and it just looks way too big and heavy.
    44 lbs for a 46 footer is too small especially if you have a tower. Ridiculously big is how i like my anchors!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    44 lbs for a 46 footer is too small especially if you have a tower. Ridiculously big is how i like my anchors!
    I was about to type the same thing.

Weather in the islands can change quickly and get ugly, last for 10 minutes and sunny/calm again.
    Put something substantial down rite the first time and relax.
    I learned this the hard way thinking a lunch hook for a few minutes would work,,, NOT..

The concept of a lunch hook has never made sense to me… I don’t want my lunch to get cold because my anchor is dragging

This is what a mean by “ridiculously big” : this 116 I m running these days came with two 200 pounder like the one of the port side. After the first trip to the Exumas 3 years ago, I replaced it with a 400 pounder. Even with 12:1 scope the smaller anchor would barely hold. These big ones are hard to find but Sam’s had a couple of them left from when Hatteras was building 100 footers…. Now I sleep well at night but still use an anchor alarm on my cabin
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat