Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Bahamas (Abaco's) anchoring

I put the 44 Delta on this morning. It shrank once on the boat. Going to check it out and then probably going to get either the 55 or the 70. Plus add some chain.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    I put the 44 Delta on this morning. It shrank once on the boat. Going to check it out and then probably going to get either the 55 or the 70. Plus add some chain.
    Deltas work great in a variety of bottoms incl grass but not in soft mud. Not an issue in the Bahamas
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Okay, I知 sold. Had a decent current in Johns Pass and dropped the hook and let the boat drift back, pick up speed, and pull out rode. Hit the up button to lock windlass and when the line got tight it snapped the boat around to an instant stop. This was sand mixed with silt from the tides. Impressive. I知 thinking the 55 pound with a decent amount of chain should be good.

Might buy the 44 pound anyway and put on the 34.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Okay, I知 sold. Had a decent current in Johns Pass and dropped the hook and let the boat drift back, pick up speed, and pull out rode. Hit the up button to lock windlass and when the line got tight it snapped the boat around to an instant stop. This was sand mixed with silt from the tides. Impressive. I知 thinking the 55 pound with a decent amount of chain should be good.

Might buy the 44 pound anyway and put on the 34.
    The real test, self setting when pulled around.

So are fortresses good in the Bahamas

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    So are fortresses good in the Bahamas
    They work well enough in marinas. Sorry. I would never recommend an aluminum version in the Bahamas.
    Regards
    Dan

Save the money on all that anchoring crap and get a slip every night. You値l sleep better. And while all those poor bastards are swinging around on their anchors at midnight in the middle of the white out thunder squalls that come through about then, you can be sipping arum and coke at the local watering hole.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Save the money on all that anchoring crap and get a slip every night. You値l sleep better. And while all those poor bastards are swinging around on their anchors at midnight in the middle of the white out thunder squalls that come through about then, you can be sipping arum and coke at the local watering hole.
    X2 I've never slept well on the hook, ever. In a crowded anchorage, over night a strong wind came up and I ended up standing at the lower helm for about four hours ready to press the starter buttons. Or some ass with a 25' boat tells you you're taking up too much swinging room despite you were there first. You'll be looking over your shoulder every time you leave the boat on the hook. Everyone else will be laughing and having a great time and you'll be entirely consumed in thought about what's happening with the anchoring system. just my .02

I did anchor off Powell key one year ,went to sleep,then woke up off Spanish key 4 miles away

No a FX is not great in the Bahamas as they clog and don稚 reset on a tide shift

As to anchoring vs docking, we much prefer anchoring, even on the job where we don稚 have to pay for the dockage. Big anchor, good spot and an anchor alarm by my bed. Better view, nice breeze, privacy. So much better than a marina! We anchor close to 100 nights a year, never dragged or lost sleep.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat