Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Transmission Oil Pressure | Allison's on 8V92TAs

1996 8V92TA's with Allison's in a Hatteras 52' CPMY. First time out for a legit sea trial. Ran out of fuel on main tank, after switching to another tank and getting her going again I had high transmission oil pressure (see photo, 220+) readings on Port motor (which had stalled). GPH was also 3-4 for low idle setting (limping back to the dock as fuel gauges are questionable). Temp remained inline/consistent with Starboard. Voltage was also reading low. I checked oil on drives which were totally clear and a good reading on the sticks. Replaced the o ring on the port dipstick as it had no suction. When not under load at the dock I could not repeat the issue. Any thoughts on what could be wrong, places to start?
    Attached Images

Re: Transmission Oil Pressure | Allison's on 8V92TAs

Quote Originally Posted by Victory52 View Post
    Voltage was also reading low.
    You mentioned low volts on a DDEC system. Fix or verify that first.
    If you did a lot of cranking on that engine to get it running after running out of fuel, batteries must be low or a new DVc bad connection.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 05-06-2024 at 04:13 PM.

Low voltage or bad ground can really mess with electronic readouts.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    You mentioned low volts on a DDEC system. Fix or verify that first.If you did a lot of cranking on that engine to get it running after running out of fuel, batteries must be low or a new DVc bad connection.
    I was thinking it could be low voltage creating havoc with readouts. What is a DVc?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Low voltage or bad ground can really mess with electronic readouts.
    Hi Sky, I'm just South of you in Muskegon. Will verify voltage. I was getting 11.9v on return leg.

What is a DVc?
    Sorry, I meant DCv.
    Direct Current volts. Battery voltage.

When you get old, some brain cells get lost or sacrificed or since I don't know how to type;
    Some things just jet posted incorrectly.

DDEC needs good-clean, full charge and lots of battery voltage.

Hi Sky, I'm just South of you in Muskegon. Will verify voltage. I was getting 11.9v on return leg.
    There may be a Vanner voltage converter somewhere there. I had one on a motorhome that wasn't putting out proper voltage and it caused problems with my DDEC 8v92.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    There may be a Vanner voltage converter somewhere there. I had one on a motorhome that wasn't putting out proper voltage and it caused problems with my DDEC 8v92.
    I may also have drew the batteries down too much cranking over to get it fired back up. Didn't consider a voltage converter though, will inspect.