Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Adding a fuel primer pump

Normalization of risk. Just because you've gotten away with bad practice doesn't make it safe.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Normalization of risk. Just because you've gotten away with bad practice doesn't make it safe.
    I and thousands of factory installed priming pumps on quality boats “have gotten” away with it…. They re only under light pressure while priming not running
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Another reason to not do it that way is that pumps emulsify water which hinders filter performance when they are installed before the filter. If you are trying to polish fuel, you'll want to pull the fuel through the filter, not push it through. That's why the water separator is always on the primary. I've never seen a water separator after a fuel pump for a reason.

Maybe that's not as big of a deal on Detroits, but if you have a common rail engine then you definitely don't want to take a chance of getting any water to the injection system.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 03-27-2024 at 08:37 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI