Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Rope shredding around concrete pillar, help me obi wan

Can you post a picture so we can better visualize the issue? You can greatly tie a line around a square concrete piling unless you don’t have any tide.

You say the line is used to keep the boat off the dock, does it mean it s on the other side off the boat? If so you ll be better off with bow and stern tied to the floating dock on the side opposite the stairs. For the stern line if you can cross it across the stern it will be even better.

If you can’t tie up on the other side when big ball fenders will be you best solution to keep the boat off the dock
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by nmcafee View Post
    The chain scares me.
    The chain just goes around the pile, A shackle & thimble ties it to your normal nylon to the boat.

Plastic, hose, rags will slow the chafe down, just keep an eye on it.

Everything I would have suggested already has been posted. One suggestion, if you know anyone at the local fire department, ask if they're discarding any old fire hoses. Those are the ultimate chafe guards, but on concrete pilings especially square ones with "sharp" corners, nothing will last forever. The cross lines to the neighboring dock are the best solution, unless the marina has another slip available that's longer for a better fit to the length of the boat.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

So, day 1 of project save a rope has been a success. The pictures attached

1) can see the pillar with my line protected bu 3 different sections of flex tube. The tubes seem to be rolling (or at least dragging) along so far. 2) My boarding gangway. I want to get the swivel attachment for it but as of now am not sure if one came with the boat. We are going through mounds of stuff trying to sort through the good stuff vs the junk. 3) zoomed in picture of my invention.

Will update if it doesnt work.
    Attached Images
    Nathan McAfee
    Ocean Sloth
    1990 Hatteras 54' EDMY

With a long stairs, and a narrow finger, you might want to try a swivel platform.
    https://marquipt.com/products/sea-st...ivel-platform/
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

So you re in a single slip. The key to handle tidal changes is length… short lines like you breast line just don’t work.

Ideally, use a bow line and a stern line to keep the boat of the dock. Since these lines will be longer, they will have better angles. Is your stern sticking out ? If not run the line from the port piling to the starboard cleat

If that doesn’t work then you need to find some hard plastic balls to make sure the breast line can go up and down the piling. Long term I don’t think the hoses are going to work, with stronger winds they re going to get stuck. Look at industrial supplies like grainger, they have hard nylon balls which you can drill. I ve gotten some 1” to use as a shore power support on a piling? I m sure they have bigger ones.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Will this work for you?

https://www.tideminders.com/
    Slainte
    1988 - 67' CPMY
    Houston, Texas

a 5 step version of these dock steps might work.https://marquipt.com/products/dock-step/
    ours came with that, but I haven't seen another set.
    another option might be to mount your longer stair as a gangway to the stern aft deck.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    With a long stairs, and a narrow finger, you might want to try a swivel platform.
    https://marquipt.com/products/sea-st...ivel-platform/
    WINNER...WINNER...Chicken dinner on that suggestion... that's the "real" fix ....
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

The swivel platform is great for a dock queen but a major PITA every time you leave the dock.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat