Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Check out this listing, not a Hat, but interesting high speed 83 footer

1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Check out this listing, not a Hat, but interesting high speed 83 footer

that thing is F in ugly
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

3. Re: Check out this listing, not a Hat, but interesting high speed 83 footer

Looks like a Harry Schoell design to me. He designed and built some “futuristic” and fast designs in the day. Bachelor pads deluxe. No wood in them at all (which I like) , mostly just white everything. Most had a big hot tub next to a king sized bed. He also gave us the Deltaconic hull, which those super wide Trojan expresses had.
    There used to be all kinds of wild boats built in South Florida with turbine jet engines, big Tempests with their surface drives etc. Bales of Money was literally falling from the sky, but ironically the guys building these super expensive toys were guys who made their fortunes in things like carpet, plumbing fixtures, and auto sales “up north”.

It would take a stuff and leery broker to list a stuff and leery boat.

Even the tender looks like it's from a 1970s James Bond movie. I'm sure it was impressive in its day.

Walt Hoover

Not if they handed me the asking price in Benjamins and offered it to me to drive away.

Well 1) the mentioned broker is someone I would never do business with, as when we were shopping in 2019, I called him about a listing in New Bern NC - He was profane and offensive because I "called on Saturday, that boat is under contract and in a survey right now" (listing was printed off Yachtworld the day before I called), and when I accidentally met him in person (yes CS himself) he recognized my name and did not improve my perception of him...

And as for that boat, well, I'm an old Coastie, not interested in something that looks like the drug runners in the Timothy Dalton-James Bond movie would have used.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Well for this Hat, what's missing?

OK in the same "what was someone thinking" vein, what is missing on this Hatteras 52'? Am I the only one that thinks the "weather helm" being missing is a serious deficiency?

Used 1996 Hatteras 52 Cockpit Motor Yacht, 77573 League City - Boat Trader
    Last edited by rwaldrop13; 03-25-2024 at 01:14 PM.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

For me, boats are like dogs but this one is damn close to getting the boot.

Re: Well for this Hat, what's missing?

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    OK in the same "what was someone thinking" vein, what is missing on this Hatteras 52'? Am I the only one that thinks the "weather helm" being missing is a serious deficiency?

Used 1996 Hatteras 52 Cockpit Motor Yacht, 77573 League City - Boat Trader
    A lot of boats of this style and others, do not have a lower station.