Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Sonar transducer

Hey all, my main thru hull Simrad depth sensor quit working. The temp is still reading, so Aimar
    feel the sensor is bad…. It will be a while until the boat comes out of the water to replace.
    I ordered a simple Hawkeye unit, with the idea of gluing the transducer inside the boat. This has not worked. The depth readings are accurate sometimes, but mostly all over the place. Hawkeye tells me the bottom is not compatible.
    Has anyone done this with success? We have a 1979 58 MY..

KEN

Re: Sonar transducer

I have at least 4 non-functioning transducers inside my hull.

The latest effort was a top end Garmin that does not work even though we mounted it on the hull of our cockpit which was added to the boat post market. Even the hull in the added portion of the boat is too thick for the Garmin.

So i have concluded that no thru hull will work on an antique Hatteras hull.

Please advise otherwise.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Looking at airmar's website, there is no specific thickness that is a cutoff for in hull transducers. In fact they merely give the instruction that the hull must be solid fiberglass which is what you're working with. Chirp or not, all the in hull transducers they offer in 1k, 2k, and 3k state they can be installed in hull within the tank supplied. is the transducer that doesn't work a tank style or a self contained plastic unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    I have at least 4 non-functioning transducers inside my hull.The latest effort was a top end Garmin that does not work even though we mounted it on the hull of our cockpit which was added to the boat post market. Even the hull in the added portion of the boat is too thick for the Garmin.So i have concluded that no thru hull will work on an antique Hatteras hull.Please advise otherwise.BruceFreestyle1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)Tampa
    Any transducer won’t like sitting so far aft. Transducers like “clean water” and should be mounted somewhere that nothing that creates turbulence precedes it. We put an Airmar B275 in the port side mid bilge under the guest stateroom forward of the AC and other intakes. Existing transducer was in a similar spot on the starboard side. Far forward of struts, props, rudders, stabilizers etc. transducers like when the sound waves are looking through water not air.