Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Windlass wiring

Windlass wiring

Hey guys, I got my windlass rebuilt and back in, but somethng odd is going on with the wiring. I posted a video on my Youtube channel, but thought maybe one of you could help out.

I have an old Ideal modified V5C and it has up and down functions. 4 solenoids, two sets of switches, one in helm, one on deck.

I can get one direction to work at a time. I can use ether hot wire and/or switch, and all works fine, but the minute I put power to the clockwse and counter clockwise terminal on the motor and hit a switch, it trps the breaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4GQ6PBOCko is the link to the video. I talk about it halfway thru.

Thanks
    Shay

Re: Windlass wiring

not sure of your particular model but it would make sense to me that you shouldn't power both directions at the same time. Maybe your issue is something in the control side is powering both leads up simultaneously

I rebuilt my windlass and the four solenoids confused me . I have three switches so I combined the wiring on buss bars before wiring it to the solenoids. Since the windlass reverses, and two power cables go to the windlass motor, one cable has to be positive and one negative . This has to switch for the windlass to turn in the opposite direction. Check the control wires to the solenoids to insure that one solenoid runs positive to the motor and the other solenoid connects negative. The other pair of solenoids does the opposite when engaged. I’m not good with electrical schematics , so the wiring diagrams didn’t do me a bit of good.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

I've attached a wiring diagram for a 4-relay unit I built for my windlass. You'll see that this setup switches the polarity of both the motor's armature winding and stator winding. My windlass is not an Ideal, but I suspect it works similarly.
    Attached Files