Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AC pump trigger workaround

I'm meeting a friend on his boat, and the AC RW pump is apparently not firing on either unit. I suspect bad triggers, but how can we wire the pump to stay on as a temporary fix in the relay box?
    Its a mid 80's hatt like ours. Thanks in advance.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Re: AC pump trigger workaround

I actually had this problem with a brand new unit from MarineAire that they refused to warranty. What I did was simply wire the pumps to their own breaker so they ran continuously, which also gave me a good barometer for how clear the intakes were. It essentially bypassed the relay trigger, and was actually a suggestion from a local vendor when they heard about my issues with MarineAire.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Simple. Pull the wires bringing power to the relay box and connect the pump to that…. I never understood why these relay box don’t include and override switch which would be very useful when troubleshooting a flow issue

here in sofl AC there is always at least one unit running even with chillers ao my pump Is on a breaker and runs 24/7 except a few days every winter after a cold front
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Previous owner wired in a toggle switch on each of my two seawater pump relay boxes. They are labeled “bimini switches” and bypass the failed relay to power the seawater pump directly, presumably to “save” a trip home from Bimini due to a failed pump trigger. I’ll post a link to a new trigger supply that has worked very well for us.

I put a whole new relay box in my boat. I did jump out the pump and had it running 24/7 for a while but found the constant flow of fresh seawater caused growth in the basket and probably the lines as well as I had to clean them out with acid. Bypass is good for temp fix but replace the triggers or the whole trigger box.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

What gauge wire would we need for this?
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

So, all my triggers are bad. I have not been able to nail an AC guy down yet, so to work around that for a temporary fix, I pulled the hot wire going into the trigger out and put it to the recptacle so I can turn them off and on at the breaker.

Not permanent, but way better than nothng coolng. =-)

I replaced all of my triggers years ago with simple plug in relays. The relays are easy to find and can be purchased by the box. They come in 120 vac or 240 vac. I also installed an on/off switch for the pump, which is useful for flushing, priming etc. This is a simple conversion for any AC professional, or DIY, if you are comfortable with basic wiring. They do burn out, but not as often as my triggers did, and I just unplug the bad one and plug in a new one.

number 2.jpg20240323_152520_resized.jpg

Caesars Ghost
    1980 58YF #472

Quote Originally Posted by CGHOST4 View Post
    I replaced all of my triggers years ago with simple plug in relays. The relays are easy to find and can be purchased by the box. They come in 120 vac or 240 vac. I also installed an on/off switch for the pump, which is useful for flushing, priming etc. This is a simple conversion for any AC professional, or DIY, if you are comfortable with basic wiring. They do burn out, but not as often as my triggers did, and I just unplug the bad one and plug in a new one.

Attachment 72835Attachment 72836

Caesars Ghost
    1980 58YF #472
    Nice job. Those are very good relays. We do control’s conversations where the legacy system is 25 years old but the relays are covered in dust because they have never been changed. I use the relay on the new system just as an interposing relay to trigger those and leave them in place.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP