Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

AC pump trigger workaround

I'm meeting a friend on his boat, and the AC RW pump is apparently not firing on either unit. I suspect bad triggers, but how can we wire the pump to stay on as a temporary fix in the relay box?
    Its a mid 80's hatt like ours. Thanks in advance.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Re: AC pump trigger workaround

I actually had this problem with a brand new unit from MarineAire that they refused to warranty. What I did was simply wire the pumps to their own breaker so they ran continuously, which also gave me a good barometer for how clear the intakes were. It essentially bypassed the relay trigger, and was actually a suggestion from a local vendor when they heard about my issues with MarineAire.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Simple. Pull the wires bringing power to the relay box and connect the pump to that…. I never understood why these relay box don’t include and override switch which would be very useful when troubleshooting a flow issue

here in sofl AC there is always at least one unit running even with chillers ao my pump Is on a breaker and runs 24/7 except a few days every winter after a cold front
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Previous owner wired in a toggle switch on each of my two seawater pump relay boxes. They are labeled “bimini switches” and bypass the failed relay to power the seawater pump directly, presumably to “save” a trip home from Bimini due to a failed pump trigger. I’ll post a link to a new trigger supply that has worked very well for us.

I put a whole new relay box in my boat. I did jump out the pump and had it running 24/7 for a while but found the constant flow of fresh seawater caused growth in the basket and probably the lines as well as I had to clean them out with acid. Bypass is good for temp fix but replace the triggers or the whole trigger box.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP