Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

This may have been discussed before so I'm sorry... But I have to ask.

With the loss of Pau Hana in Hurricane Ian, I had a list of unfinished/never started projects that I came across this morning. One of them was to "restore" the shore water connection on the side of the deckhouse, instead of the improv connection thru the starboard engine room vent. While we are nowhere near starting to consider returning to boat life, I have started window shopping, just starting to compare boats, looking at a broad mix. Of course, 5 out of 6 on my list on BoatTrader are Hats (big surprise), but as I start to look at the ones with better pictures, I notice that a lot of them seem to have their shore water connection extremely close to the electrical shore tie plugs. Pau Hana's original water connection was actually not that close, and the improv was nowhere near electrical. Am I overthinking this? I had planned to rework the original connection with new fittings/plumbing into the starboard engine room where the pump, accumulator, distribution manifold were all at. Of course the hot water heater was in the port engine room. Pau Hana had some "quirks" being one of the first generation 54' EDMY, and I was never able to get any information from Hatteras about her before the buyout and subsequently losing her to the hurricane. All the manuals were lost between the original owner and the PO's we bought her from. I have some of my notes, and my project list, but everything else was lost.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Re: This may have been discussed before so I'm sorry... But I have to ask.

Yes Hatteras usually placed the water hook up near the shore power and TV/phone. Personally I never connect to dockside water and eliminated that years ago. I d rather fill the tank every few days and keep the tank fresh and the water pumps exercised. Reduce the risk of flooding in case of a plumbing failure
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We have quick disconnects at the bottom, behind the door to the shore “umbilical” connection panel on both sides.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    With the loss of Pau Hana in Hurricane Ian, I had a list of unfinished/never started projects that I came across this morning. One of them was to "restore" the shore water connection on the side of the deckhouse, instead of the improv connection thru the starboard engine room vent. While we are nowhere near starting to consider returning to boat life, I have started window shopping, just starting to compare boats, looking at a broad mix. Of course, 5 out of 6 on my list on BoatTrader are Hats (big surprise), but as I start to look at the ones with better pictures, I notice that a lot of them seem to have their shore water connection extremely close to the electrical shore tie plugs. Pau Hana's original water connection was actually not that close, and the improv was nowhere near electrical. Am I overthinking this? I had planned to rework the original connection with new fittings/plumbing into the starboard engine room where the pump, accumulator, distribution manifold were all at. Of course the hot water heater was in the port engine room. Pau Hana had some "quirks" being one of the first generation 54' EDMY, and I was never able to get any information from Hatteras about her before the buyout and subsequently losing her to the hurricane. All the manuals were lost between the original owner and the PO's we bought her from. I have some of my notes, and my project list, but everything else was lost.

You really just need to buy another boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

As I am reading your note about running water I am sitting on my new boat waiting for a guy to give me a quote on installing anchor and aft washdown stations. Am shocked that a 54 doesn't have them as a stock feature. Would love a copy of your drawings if you can share.
    Nathan McAfee
    Ocean Sloth
    1990 Hatteras 54' EDMY

Quote Originally Posted by nmcafee View Post
    As I am reading your note about running water I am sitting on my new boat waiting for a guy to give me a quote on installing anchor and aft washdown stations. Am shocked that a 54 doesn't have them as a stock feature. Would love a copy of your drawings if you can share.
    Most hatteras have a quick fitting either at the bow or by the PH doors
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    You really just need to buy another boat.
    You're hilarious but not wrong. If I really want to depress myself, I look at my "invoice" folder under Pau Hana on my laptop where all the parts/tools/supplies were catalogued by cost. As in, lost when the boat was destroyed. We're committed to waiting for a) our dog to cross the rainbow bridge, as he was so unhappy on the boat it's not funny, and b) both my parents are in their late 80s, so we kind of need to stick around, c), wife is still working full-time, and d) all of the above plus the hit we took in deductibles (yes, plural, doubled for named storm + salvage deductible) when insurance paid out. So unless you're writing me a check, let's agree to hopefully have a couple of beers together in the future when we return to the water.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Yes Hatteras usually placed the water hook up near the shore power and TV/phone. Personally I never connect to dockside water and eliminated that years ago. I d rather fill the tank every few days and keep the tank fresh and the water pumps exercised. Reduce the risk of flooding in case of a plumbing failure
    I did that as well, but I also planned out my new/old water hookup restoration with cutoff valves inside the engine room where the new plumbing would "enter" the boat. After serving in the USCG, I tend to practice redundancy wherever possible. I had additional concerns because my freshwater fill would start spraying when filling the tank, and flood the aft bilge in the time it took me to yell "turn it off", adding cleanup time to filling the tank. Replacing the tank fitting, and new fill hose was also on the project list, teeing the fill fitting off the shore connection with it's own shutoff valve.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

I had a valve in the dockside supply that would fill the tank. I used an electric valve to let the water in. I would loosen the fill cap so I didn't over pressurize the tank.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I had a valve in the dockside supply that would fill the tank. I used an electric valve to let the water in. I would loosen the fill cap so I didn't over pressurize the tank.

Walt Hoover
    That is an excellent idea, and sounds like what I was going to do - just with a manual valve. But thanks for the suggestion.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL