Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wits end

Hybrid View

Wits end

Good morning
    Some of you already know about my electrical issues on my 1975 64 ft m/y.
    It has US wiring and was also wired for european use. I hired a electrician #1
    He spent 3 hours looking at it and decided he didnt want to mess with it.
    Electrician #2(wards marine service) said they would contact us, for an appointment to come look at it. Its been 15 days, no call yet. Elect.#3 would not even com to the boat, he said hes retiring, then said the boat was too old. I need some kind of help and im reaching out to you guys. Does anyone know of someone willing to come assess this for me and give me options?
    I expect to pay thats not the problem. I cant do the rest of the projects on this boat until im comfortable that its corrected. Or should i just re wire the boat? Seems people have no problem coming out to do that. Thanks in advance.

Tony.
    Tony & Laura
    1975 64ft Hatteras MY Hull #306
    "Escape Plan"
    Ft. Pierce, Fl.

Re: Wits end

Have you reached out to Scott Bickwald? If not PM me for his info, not sure I can post it here. Or find him on the Scott Saved my…thread I think he was allowed to post so you might PM him directly.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by ESCAPE PLAN View Post
    Good morning
    Some of you already know about my electrical issues on my 1975 64 ft m/y.
    It has US wiring and was also wired for european use. I hired a electrician #1
    He spent 3 hours looking at it and decided he didnt want to mess with it.
    Electrician #2(wards marine service) said they would contact us, for an appointment to come look at it. Its been 15 days, no call yet. Elect.#3 would not even com to the boat, he said hes retiring, then said the boat was too old. I need some kind of help and im reaching out to you guys. Does anyone know of someone willing to come assess this for me and give me options?
    I expect to pay thats not the problem. I cant do the rest of the projects on this boat until im comfortable that its corrected. Or should i just re wire the boat? Seems people have no problem coming out to do that. Thanks in advance.

Tony.
    Scott can probably help, or offer alternatives. Also consider another call to Ward's to follow up.
    Edit: It just occurred to me that there are marine surveyors that perform electrical surveys. That could be a place to start.
    Last edited by SeaEric; 03-17-2024 at 09:38 AM.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Scott will be able to help. Do you have your electrical drawings? I believe he is working on a boat like this now. Probably just have to track down and reverse modifications.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I would keep trying to get Wards to come .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Calling Ward's again today but am conversing with Scott also.
    Tony & Laura
    "Escape Plan"
    Ft. Pierce, Fl.

Ward's have a good rep, but quite a few people on the HOF speak very well of Scott and his availability.

100 hours may be that Just In Case estimate.
    Always easier to reduce an estimate than increase it.
    Some of our jobs were estimated up to an hour level.

Do you really need a transformer?

Now, a picky question, Your purchase surveyor really did not pick up on all of this?
    Just what did he do or just charge hours??
    SeaEric was correct, You may want to find an electrical surveyor now.
    You also going to need him when the job is supposed finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    100 hours may be that Just In Case estimate.
    Always easier to reduce an estimate than increase it.
    Some of our jobs were estimated up to an hour level.

Do you really need a transformer?

Now, a picky question, Your purchase surveyor really did not pick up on all of this?
    Just what did he do or just charge hours??
    SeaEric was correct, You may want to find an electrical surveyor now.
    You also going to need him when the job is supposed finished.
    yes, a transformer is needed, and i know im gonna get pushback on this, but in this situation i did not get a survey due to the very low cost of the vessel and what we were planning for it. i was willing to take whatever comes, although we stayed on it for a week before finalizing the purchase. we went over it with a fine tooth comb and still dont regret the purchase.
    Tony & Laura
    "Escape Plan"
    Ft. Pierce, Fl.

Peter from Lean Marine visited one of our projects last month. I would tap on these kids and get more options.

https://lean-marine.com/contact/