Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wits end

Re: Wits end

yes, i do but does the labor seem excessive? ive walked through everything i was told i needed and
    i estimated about 27 hrs. i just dont know.
    Tony1975 64ft Hatteras MY"Escape Plan"Ft. Pierce, Fl.

Businesses will take advantage of a great technician. You will see the work done correctly and accordingly, while they bilk the hours. I once had a bill for 17 hours to install a fuel flow meter. When I asked the manager if it seemed high, he quipped "we are never questioned on our billing". They did bring it down a bit. At least you have a figure of what not to exceed instead of shock and awe when done. This industry is full of cheats and liars. I have met more than a few.

If they are sending two guys, that would be 54 hours using your estimate (27 hrs x 2 guys). With mob/demob and shop prep time that could easily be 60 hours.

Then of course they may apply the "owner plans to help" multiplier (x1.67), which takes you up to 100 hours.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky Too View Post
    apply the "owner plans to help" multiplier (x1.67),
    That was near our rate when owners watched. 2 or 3 x if the owners helped.
    Nothing gets accomplished when owners are on board.

100 hours may be that Just In Case estimate.
    Always easier to reduce an estimate than increase it.
    Some of our jobs were estimated up to an hour level.

Do you really need a transformer?

Now, a picky question, Your purchase surveyor really did not pick up on all of this?
    Just what did he do or just charge hours??
    SeaEric was correct, You may want to find an electrical surveyor now.
    You also going to need him when the job is supposed finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Play'N Hooky Too View Post
    If they are sending two guys, that would be 54 hours using your estimate (27 hrs x 2 guys). With mob/demob and shop prep time that could easily be 60 hours.Then of course they may apply the "owner plans to help" multiplier (x1.67), which takes you up to 100 hours.
    Only 1 guy and i was asked to assist in getting it into engine room and lifting it onto the shelf. That where my help ends.I will not be over his shoulder as i have a job. Even if i didnt, i hate when people are watching what i do.

WITS END would be a great name for an old Hatteras, I may use that lol.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

It's nice to see most of you have no trust in vendors.

I do this kind of stuff for a living. I also don't care to work for the masses. I usually fix other peoples messes and can tell You that I'm not getting rich at $150/ hour.

I get to choose my customers and don't worry about the people who come to me after creating their own problems. The people who screwed up the boat seem to have disappeared. The survey was less than useful. Now we get a bunch of armchair admiral a-holes criticizing the vendor without actually seeing the project.

I feel for the owners of the boat who is being misguided by a bunch of less than qualified peoples opinions. Its not a small.project and nobidy posting realizes how much work is involved.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    100 hours may be that Just In Case estimate.
    Always easier to reduce an estimate than increase it.
    Some of our jobs were estimated up to an hour level.

Do you really need a transformer?

Now, a picky question, Your purchase surveyor really did not pick up on all of this?
    Just what did he do or just charge hours??
    SeaEric was correct, You may want to find an electrical surveyor now.
    You also going to need him when the job is supposed finished.
    yes, a transformer is needed, and i know im gonna get pushback on this, but in this situation i did not get a survey due to the very low cost of the vessel and what we were planning for it. i was willing to take whatever comes, although we stayed on it for a week before finalizing the purchase. we went over it with a fine tooth comb and still dont regret the purchase.

Usually a Hatteras your size would have two transformers. , this is so you could use two shore power cables.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL