Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Surveyor recommendations,Please. Fort Lauderdale

We are getting ready to sign a contract on a 61 Hatteras. The owner currently has the vessel in Fort Lauderdale. I would love a few surveyor recommendations.. this is a 1981 vessel that has not been maintained with evidence of leaks, lots of things are not working, bad flooring not in good shape at all. So hoping for a surveyor that is precise and has attention to detail and stamina for a big vessel.Thank you KindlyAndy

Re: Surveyor recommendations,Please. Fort Lauderdale

Hope it’s cheap. You may not be able to bind insurance if the survey is bad until all things are addressed.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

You are correct. About insurance, it’s getting harder and harder. People want every possible discrepancy listed on there surveys so they can negotiate the best price but once they get the boat they are calling me trying to get me to remove items so they can get insurance. My comment is you can’t have it both ways.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I understand. But I am just asking for recommendation of surveyors. Of course, issues will be fixed.. But you are correct about what to do between closing and issues being completely addressed. Maybe putting the vessel on the hard with boatyard liability insurance as a bridge. If such a thing exit

5. Re: Surveyor recommendations,Please. Fort Lauderdale

Old adage-“If it looks bad, it’s not going to look any better the closer you look”

Insurance and dockage is difficult to find for yachts in pristine condition.
    Last edited by Retired1; 03-17-2024 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    Old adage-“If it looks bad, it’s not to look any better the closer you look”

Insurance and dockage is difficult to find for yachts in pristine condition.
    Most yards require insurance even to haul out.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

So with everything including dockage and insurance so difficult in Florida is Florida still a good place to sell a boat
    It almost seems a boat is a liability and nearly worthless as per RS Smiths very pertinent comments
    It is also ridiculous for a buyer of a 50 plus foot boat to expect everything working and only pay $100,000

Quote Originally Posted by Streff View Post
    I understand. But I am just asking for recommendation of surveyors. Of course, issues will be fixed.. But you are correct about what to do between closing and issues being completely addressed. Maybe putting the vessel on the hard with boatyard liability insurance as a bridge. If such a thing exit
    Hamilton and Hamilton if they're still around. Surveyed Pau Hana for us in 2020, great guy and very thorough.

https://www.hamiltonmarineservices.com/
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Liability insurance only should be possible. This will let you go to yards and marinas. You are bitting off a lot. I bought a similar boat over 20 years ago. It was in good condition with two prior wealthy owners . I am about half way through my restoration. You can spend a lot of time just keeping things up , much less improving anything. About 2 years ago, I went to the yard for ninety days, stayed a year and a half. But it was a yard that allowed you to do anything. Difficult to find these days , especially in South Florida. Wherever you put it , make sure they allow you to work on the boat and bring contractors. Hopefully, you will live close. Don’t try to do everything at once , remember it took a big crew a year to build the beast.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL