Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anchors

Re: Anchors

Great info! It sounds like I should look into the Bruce. The Rocna is pricey. I’m not afraid to spend the cash on a reliable anchor. I just want to make sure it’s dependable. I also want the Admiral to lighten up on anchoring out. Thanks fellas for the input
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

Www.youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting

One word on the Bruce, I had one, and it is a Great Sand and Mud anchor. My experience with it was that it was not a great grass or hard bottom anchor. My advice, there is one thing not to save money on, and it is your ground tackle.

Caesars Ghost
    1980 58YF #472

+1 Mantus M2. Put it on (already had 300’ of chain) and sleep much better at night. Boat had a fortress anchor and slipped a couple times on hard pack. Mantus had a plastic template at the boat show that they let me bring back to the boat to check fit that helped convince me!

I anchor out every weekend in mostly mud bottoms, often with weeds. A couple of times a year we anchor in pure sand bottoms. Last year I put a Rocna Vulcan 33kg (72.6lb) anchor on the bow pulpit of my Chris-Craft 47 Commander, with all 3/8"HT chain and a Mantus S2 swivel. It fits the Hatteras style bow pulpit very well. This setup seems to work really well, I'm happy with the Vulcan, it seems to set quickly every time. On my last boat I had a genuine Bruce and I found it to work well in most conditions. Only a sticky clay bottom fouled the flukes of the Bruce and caused it to drag once.

I always carry a genuine Danforth as a stern anchor. In my opinion, in a clean sand bottom, nothing beats a genuine Danforth set with adequate scope.

Attachment 7264820231028_131802.jpg
    Attached Images
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)

40/88lb Rocna Vulcan has been great for us after replacing small CQR. Install required modifications. Only used in mud.
    Attached Images
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

I've anchored for over 40 years in the Great Lakes with a Danforth. Never had an issue, ever. Not even in 60kt thunderstorms in the middle of the night. And we anchor out often. The key is all chain and over-size on the anchor. Its mostly sand bottoms in the lakes. Some mud and some weeds.

I bought Sadey's old Danforth style stainless anchor and had issues with it. I modified it so the angles and edges matched a true Danforth and it's great now. The Chinese knockoffs have the wrong shank to fluke angle.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    I was thinking of changing from Danforth to a Bruce for Bahamas. Is 44 lb enough for a 46? Also is there a particular brand to go with? I see many "Bruce type" for sale. Asking because only a true Danforth or Danforth design will dig in and hook well. The big heavy "Danforth type" sold at west marine just drags through the sand without digging in.
    I have a 60# plow anchor on my 46. It holds well. I think having a boat's length of chain is as important as the type of anchor.

55 kg Rocna Vulcan with 600 feet of 3/8" chain on my 58LRC. One of the first upgrades I did on the boat.

She's batting a 1000 so far with anchoring mostly in Connecticut and New England waters for three seasons. Soon to be tested in Florida waters this season.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL