Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crane and Winch

Crane and Winch

I am in Harbor Island Eleuthera and our new SA12000AC crane motor has arrived with assorted mounting hardware.

The new unit has 50 feet of stainless cable and a hook. The old unit has relatively new stainless cable and a weighted hook I like better.

Do I use the new wire and somehow detach and reattach the hook?

Or, do I use the new wire and detach it from the motor, run the cable through the crane and reattach at the motor?

Or do I take my current cable, weight and hook, and reattach it to the new electric motor?

Based on these questions you can tell I do not know what I am doing. So any further advice and a complete "how to do this" would be helpful.

I am hoping to hire someone in Spanish Wells tomorrow to help but deciding how to get the cable on the crane will be the threshold issue for anyone.

Thanks

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Re: Crane and Winch

I would definitely stick with the new cable. You can cut the old hook off and put your weighted hook on. You’ll need ferrules and a crimper. When I strung our davit with new cable I didn’t like the Marquipt black rubber coated weight. Instead I ordered a polished stainless weight from YRM. Ordered ferrules and a crimping tool from E-Rigging because I couldn’t get any company to come out to cut and re-crimp the weight/hook. Cost about $200 in parts and the tool. Wish I could lend you the tool.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Use either for now, but get some AmSteel rope to replace it with when you get a chance. Its much better stuff. I'll never go back to cable.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Use either for now, but get some AmSteel rope to replace it with when you get a chance. It’s much better stuff. I'll never go back to cable.
    . Sky , what diameter line do you recommend ? I want do the same with my cable .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Use either for now, but get some AmSteel rope to replace it with when you get a chance. Its much better stuff. I'll never go back to cable.
    I did this on Pau Hana, but just something I learned back in my Coast Guard days, you need to make sure you're keeping the line under tension as you wind it onto the drum. When I did it I had a snatch block I ran the line thru, and kept it tight as it wound.

Rather than editing the post, a snatch block (as we defined it) was a pulley block that could be opened to drop the line in anywhere along it's length, rather than threaded thru. I lucked into one in a salvage trailer at the local marine store.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

If you have to match the line to the same diameter as the cable so it will attach to the clamp on the winch drum like I had to do, the line will be more than strong enough, probably good enough to lift a full sized Elephant.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    If you have to match the line to the same diameter as the cable so it will attach to the clamp on the winch drum like I had to do, the line will be more than strong enough, probably good enough to lift a full sized Elephant.
    Exactly!! That stuff is tough. I think mine is 3/16"

https://www.samsonrope.com/mooring/amsteel--blue
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI