Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Replacement Cabin Light Bulbs

I found an exact replacement in size, brightness, and color / quality of the light output for the original cabin light bulbs in these boats. I came across them on Amazon by accident, they are 32v, they’re extremely well made, and they’re cheap too!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPPP3V4L...roduct_details

I'm a lightbulb snob. Usually I only use incandescents, I hate LED’s and the weird light they produce, it’s too bright but somehow also not bright enough at the same time. Even the “warm white” ones the color temp usually looks like the morgue scene from a horror movie. I figured I’d give these a shot, and they are spot on for the incandescent tube bulbs, I can’t tell the difference between them once the fixture is screwed back together. I ordered two dozen of them and replaced all the overhead bulbs in my boat and am extremely happy with them.
    Last edited by cww; 03-08-2024 at 08:18 AM.

Re: Replacement Cabin Light Bulbs

an answer to my prayers!!!!

Thanks for sharing.
    Tony1975 64ft Hatteras MY"Escape Plan"Ft. Pierce, Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    I found an exact replacement in size, brightness, and color / quality of the light output for the original cabin light bulbs in these boats. I came across them on Amazon by accident, they are 32v, they’re extremely well made, and they’re cheap too!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPPP3V4L...roduct_details

I'm a lightbulb snob. Usually I only use incandescents, I hate LED’s and the weird light they produce, it’s too bright but somehow also not bright enough at the same time. Even the “warm white” ones the color temp usually looks like the morgue scene from a horror movie. I figured I’d give these a shot, and they are spot on for the incandescent tube bulbs, I can’t tell the difference between them once the fixture is screwed back together. I ordered two dozen of them and replaced all the overhead bulbs in my boat and am extremely happy with them.
    Please do me a favor and watch them closely. I had similar dual 12/24v bulbs in Pau Hana and 2 of them exploded after about 3 months. I found out a Marlowe in our marina had the same bulbs and in their case only the full-time captain being onboard prevented a cabin fire.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    Please do me a favor and watch them closely. I had similar dual 12/24v bulbs in Pau Hana and 2 of them exploded after about 3 months. I found out a Marlowe in our marina had the same bulbs and in their case only the full-time captain being onboard prevented a cabin fire.
    I am keeping an eye on them. These are light years better quality than the "12 Monster" brand 32v lights that used to be the only option. Because that was all that was available, I'm guessing that's probably what you had. I had the same issues with those exploding and melting in the fixtures, that is why I was on the hunt for new ones. These are like night & day quality difference, the other ones looked like they were built in someone's garage compared to these. I am not expecting any problems.

Also worth noting, the amazon.com listing says 24v, but the bulbs are manufacturer-stamped 12V-36V operating voltage.

marinebeam in charleston has lights for our 32v hatts. They are screw in LED's, but they seem to be the same 2700k temperature as the incandescents they replaced. 5 or so years ago.
    Its best to call and tell them its a hatt, and they seem to have our bulbs, and some other clever products. I have no affiliation, just happy customer.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

How is the light output?
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I second the choice of MarineBeam. I have used them for several years without issue. They are 41v max which is what is needed for a 32v system. 36v max is for a 24v system. My charger goes to 38.4v in absorb mode.

https://store.marinebeam.com/32v-edi...32vdc-systems/

EDIT: Just looked at the Amazon link. Says 24v AC but 48v DC. So I see no problem with those.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 03-08-2024 at 09:27 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    How is the light output?
    It’s identical. When I did the galley lights there’s two of them a couple feet apart and I couldn’t tell the difference between the one I’d just changed and the incandescent one.

Wink Re: Replacement Cabin Light Bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I second the choice of MarineBeam. I have used them for several years without issue. They are 41v max which is what is needed for a 32v system. 36v max is for a 24v system. My charger goes to 38.4v in absorb mode.https://store.marinebeam.com/32v-edi...32vdc-systems/EDIT: Just looked at the Amazon link. Says 24v AC but 48v DC. So I see no problem with those.
    Sorry I think I’m the one who said 36V operating voltage when it’s really 48, that was my mistake.I did try the marine beam ones and they are better built than the 12V monster brand, but the light output had that typical LED look I don’t like where you know it’s from an LED. Somehow it’s too bright and still not bright enough at the same time and something is just off compared to incandescent bulbs. These Amazon ones are a spot on match the light output looks just like the tubular incandescents did.The monster brand ones had good light output and color, but the construction quality was total sh!t. They kept breaking, they would either pop and short out when you turned the switch on or the housings would fall apart from the heat, they were absolute garbage. I was sick of only getting 6 months out of a $30 bulb plus worrying is it going to catch my boat on fire. These Amazon ones, you can touch them after they’ve been on for awhile and they barely even get warm, I’m not expecting any problems out of them. They’re about the same as the marine beam ones in terms of build quality, they’re a nice piece.