Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Harbor Island Eleuthera Guide for Devils Backbone

We are planning to visit Harbour Island later this week.

Does anyone have a pilot they would recommend for the Devils Backbone, contact info, and cost?

My plan is to do the return trip using my cookies and high tide. Please let me know if this is considered a bad idea.

Thanks.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Re: Harbor Island Eleuthera Guide for Devils Backbone

We used Woody (Little Woody). https://www.bahamasvacationguide.com/woody.html

Try reaching out it has been at least 10 years since we did it.
    Regards
    Dan

Been there a couple of times with a 70 drawing 6+ about 9’yeqrs ago I anchored and used the dinghy to check it out with the sounder. Pretty easy in settled weather using explorer charts. Then used my tracks. No big deal, easy to read and plenty deep except past the back bone where there was a spot with 7’ MLW
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Bruce: We base out of Spanish Wells in the spring and frequently make the trip (75’ MY drawing 6’+ / Escapist; your old dock mate at TYC). With settled weather it’s an easy run if you’re comfortable with Explorer Charts and reading the water. If you have ANY hesitation, Woody is a bargain.

I have been through several times and I have used a pilot each time. Don’t know if it is true or not but have heard that insurance may deny a claim if you were to mess up in the backbone. Once again don’t know if that is true or not. I like Bruno 242 470 8671. The prevailing rate is 100 or maybe 125. If a pilot could not accommodate my schedule I would run it using my old tracks without too much heartburn. I strongly prefer Romora Bay and Briland Club over Valentines. Valentines had consistent shore power issues in the past. May have been resolved by now. Also at any of those marinas secure boat well as i have seen it get really wild in the marinas with boats getting damaged when the wind blows a certain direction.
    Last edited by motoryacht lover; 03-05-2024 at 10:41 AM.

I have run the Backbone many times, both with and without a guide. You should use a guide at least once in each direction for your first times. You'll thank me afterwards because the pucker factor is huge.

The Backbone is impassible in strong north winds and breaking seas. The "harbor" in Harbour Island is also open then. Your professional guide can take you safely through if necessary by using, of all things, low tide to use the exposed reefs to break the surf. As important, avoiding the rocks!

I have developed friendships with several guides over the years. They are great sources of information on local developments and of routing to the Abacos or Exumas from Eleuthera. (Plus I found a great dentist recommendation for a broken tooth--Dr. Hadassah Knowles, Palmetto Point.) Both Spanish Wells and Harbour Island are delightful communities, worth an extended stay.

Little Woody is an excellent guide--highly recommended.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 03-05-2024 at 12:57 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Curious as to how this works.... Does the pilot physically come aboard and pilot your boat? Or does he come aboard and provide direction? Or does he use a smaller vessel in front of you and "guide" you through?
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Depends. I have had them board the boat and take the helm. You tow there boat behind you. I have also have them say follow me. As I understand it there have some been some disagreements when the pilot wants to take the helm of some of the larger yachts. I didn’t mind as I figured they were competent and that let me enjoy the ride (very pretty run).
    Last edited by motoryacht lover; 03-06-2024 at 09:42 AM.

They will do anything you want but it’s best you drive the boat and let them guide you and explain what they’re looking at as far as landmarks bearings and reading the water. Have a pad and pencil and take notes ask questions. Best to stay in the loop so you learn from them.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Woody took the helm rather assertively as I recall and I had to work with him to get his boat in and tied off. He provided some bread and muffins which was a common practice.
    Regards
    Dan