Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Bilge hose check valves, Yes or No?

I already plan on smooth hose, Ultra switches, Johnson Bilge pumps/SR with Alarms on the ER bilges and Rule/Jr on the Sumps.......w no checks. Thanks for all the info.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

These ribbed hoses, both the old hatteras grey hoses and the black/clear ones get stiff with time and crack easily.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have only ever changed out one float switch in the 21 years I have owned the boat. But my pumps only run when I test them because the bilge is always dry.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I have only ever changed out one float switch in the 21 years I have owned the boat. But my pumps only run when I test them because the bilge is always dry.
    Must be the old mercury switches …
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    These ribbed hoses, both the old hatteras grey hoses and the black/clear ones get stiff with time and crack easily.
    So do I

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Must be the old mercury switches …
    The good ole mercury switches do not click when the float swings.
    The newer (Sheet) switches do.

We still have a couple of 46 year old Non-Clickers on our Bertram.
    Seems the wires failed before the (mercury) switch does forcing some other original switches to be replaced long ago.

Wish I knew what was going on before I replaced some of the other original switches.
    Maybe could of fix and re-used them.

On the later switches that click;
    Some work a week, some work for several months.
    When you live-aboard, you know quickly when a bilge or sump pump is not working.

We keep spares and lately, our installed switches have been repeatably reliable. It has taken some patience and lots of warranty replacements but we feel good about the current in-use bilge and sump Rule switches.

We have no way of knowing any date codes on the later switches (made on Monday, Wednesday or Friday) or after a holiday hangover (Ford Issues). Just kept up on replacements till our float issues went aweigh.

Good luck to all that still shop for Rule float switches.

Pau Hana had what I found out were Hatteras-installed check valves in the original bilge discharge hoses. I removed them and put in anti-siphon fittings, and it seemed to work pretty well. I replaced all the pumps, discharge hoses and clamps.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    Pau Hana had what I found out were Hatteras-installed check valves in the original bilge discharge hoses. I removed them and put in anti-siphon fittings, and it seemed to work pretty well. I replaced all the pumps, discharge hoses and clamps.
    Thats interesting that the check valves were factory issue. Some of the old bilge pumps like lovitt needed all the help they could get.

Eddie: The forward bilge will backflow when running at hull speed with a full load and tender on bow. Tried many variations of “loops” within available space, never was able to cure backflow and resultant short cycling of bow bilge pump; hence the check valve.
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    Eddie: The forward bilge will backflow when running at hull speed with a full load and tender on bow. Tried many variations of “loops” within available space, never was able to cure backflow and resultant short cycling of bow bilge pump; hence the check valve.
    Brett
    We had the same problem on the bow of a 60C. There was just no way to stop the backflow at hull speed without a check valve. All other pumps were fine with just the loop.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI