Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Would anyone have an idea of fuel burn at hull speed on a 72' sportfish...

Would anyone have an idea of fuel burn at hull speed on a 72' sportfish...
    with MTU 12V396 TB diesels?

It's not a hat but a Vripack

The motors are 2285 hp.

I'm guessing it's not great.

Just trying to get an idea.

There is a beautiful one on Boat Trader for $150k if anyone is interested. Needs some kind of repairs but they don't say what exactly.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1987-vripack-72-sea-hunter-9181215/

1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Would anyone have an idea of fuel burn at hull speed on a 72' sportfish...

About 17-19 gph at 10 kts
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Is that the dreaded MTU 396?
    If you can afford to maintain these beast, fuel economy is not a thought.

I can SWAG around 2 - 2.5 gallons per mile, then 2-3 GPH for each gen-set.

Sure is a pretty boat. If only I was still young & stupid, I could be looking in to her.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 02-28-2024 at 10:47 AM.

Well I kinda figured it wouldn't be that great.

That wouldn't make much of a replacement - fuel wise - for a 53MY

Nice for the sport fisherman or a really cool dock queen!

Thanks guys

Those engines are more or less proper engines for a fast attack craft like a 160ft missile boat. Pretty mean piece of machinery!

Been a while since I considered another alloy hull. For S & Gs, Think I'll go look her over.
    Time for the step son to step up to the ole MTU plate.

Rite off the bat, I'm not crawling any more towers. Anybody want a big asp tower??

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Been a while since I considered another alloy hull. For S & Gs, Think I'll go look her over.
    Time for the step son to step up to the ole MTU plate.

Rite off the bat, I'm not crawling any more towers. Anybody want a big asp tower??
    Is it near you?
    Should be interesting to hear what is "wrong" with it. They say priced based on needed repairs.....

Sure looks pretty though!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd1972 View Post
    Those engines are more or less proper engines for a fast attack craft like a 160ft missile boat. Pretty mean piece of machinery!
    Yeah, that's a lot of ponies.

tried to look up fuel burn, sounds like at full throttle they might drink 190 gallons per hour LOL.
    Each that is!

Sounds about right for kind HP. I wonder what the cruise speed is with these motors in a 72’ alum SF. Has to be 30-35kts. Back it down to 20-22 and they probably sip fuel.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I had an aluminum alloy boat years ago. In addition to all the usual boat worries, you get to watch the CAPAC meter and worry about electrolysis eating up your hull.