Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Nut jobs now welcome--some restrictions apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    Then you should read some of the posts from this guy up in Algonac, Mi.!!
    Just kidding! Just kidding!
    LOL, I am a self admited nut job. Mostly "Delusionally Optimistic" or is it "Optimistically Delusional"?
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

If you sell your boat, and lose your shirt, be glad you don't end up altogether naked.

I see that Aslan is off market. If there was a deal I hope it was satisfactory to all involved.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    HVAC seawater line unplugged at transom. Poorly maintained boat. After being down for over a month, it caught fire. Boat kept settling in the mud and a king tide reached the fly bridge batteries. Couldn’t figure out why FD was there at first. No insurance. It was on the bottom for more than two months. Low tide water a foot over cockpit combing. Salvers raised it and departed for FL 50 hours later under its own power. 6 or 8-71s. Incredible. Half that time was getting rid of all those pales of oil. Probably had 10 tons of waterlogged everything.
    Friends from our marina in Ft Myers pre-Ian bought a new to them boat and were docked at Labelle Yacht Club... Neighbor boat semi-exploded, caught fire in the slip and the facing side of their boat was severely trashed - At a level that requires water-line up rebuild. Their insurance tried to tell them it's "a buff and paint job". Last report it's turned into a court battle. Seriously, they had the boat a month and it was in beautiful near-new condition prior.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Aslan's been on the market for a few months. Understanding the market is weak, I didn't expect to be overwhelmed with cash laden buyers. I was not prepared for some real nut jobs who were allowed onboard. This is what I would call a lack of qualification by the broker and what I thought I was paying to avoid. I also felt the boat was overpriced, but I let the 'expert' broker do his thing. After all, I'm not in a hurry. It's just time to move on, but not cut'n run while I still enjoy the tinkering.

So, Aslan is for sale by owner to anyone who has not contacted my broker beginning March 1st. The original price of $225K was a nice thought, but just that. The price is $180K, buyer pays closing costs and, of course, subject to sea trial with refundable deposit. Someone who wants to live dangerously and take her as-is-where-is might have my ear. Where she is is in Charleston, SC and on the move with grandkids this summer. Nut jobs now welcome--some restrictions apply.

My HOF handle is my contact. No PMs, please.

Attachment 72316
    Just kidding, one of my neighbors.

Robert
    Should have saved this for April 1... Beautiful setup on this one!

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    They are all bad horrible investments if your ROI is $. From the newest top of the line sportfish to motor yachts to 5 engine CC’s to an old pice of shit to an old quality boat in any condition. It’s a bad choice if you think in $. But if your ROI is memories, fun trips, upgrades, maintaining in what ever condition is your flavor they are an excellent investment. Worst thing is poor souls who get in over their heads and have a bad run. I was one. But once lessons learned and having the means you can do quite well. But you’ll never get your money back.

Clarksons boat will be sold for what I call a token payment to become the new caretaker. I think he’ll get a decent price based on condition but not exactly what he is hoping for. Hopefully the new caretaker will keep in nice. I’ve sunk some big bucks on my 46. Some repairs, a lot of PM, and some nice upgrades. Not getting any of that back and don’t need to. Grabbing memories.
    I have lost money on every boat I've ever owned. I look at it as boating tuition. I still haven't lost as much a a 4 year college degree costs nowadays.

It’s not money lost, it’s money used.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    It’s not money lost, it’s money used.
    Sums it up well.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL