Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Nut jobs now welcome--some restrictions apply.

I’ve been watching the same convertibles for sale for years all overpriced. But it looks like people are starting to get realistic and dropping prices. A friend just put his 52c up for 50k engines are strong with 4 new turbos and Deangelo exhaust he had the dreaded coring replaced under the pulpit also. Covid YOLO might have been the rising tide that raised all ships but reality is setting in and all these toys are becoming sunk assets.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Still the best bad investment I ever made.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I would spend good money on foam faux teak and holly sole all day long over a quality bilge pump install. Guy was on the right track

I 2nd the request for stories of the nut jobs. Nut jobs are always entertaining!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Then you should read some of the posts from this guy up in Algonac, Mi.!!
    Just kidding! Just kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Still the best bad investment I ever made.
    They are all bad horrible investments if your ROI is $. From the newest top of the line sportfish to motor yachts to 5 engine CC’s to an old pice of shit to an old quality boat in any condition. It’s a bad choice if you think in $. But if your ROI is memories, fun trips, upgrades, maintaining in what ever condition is your flavor they are an excellent investment. Worst thing is poor souls who get in over their heads and have a bad run. I was one. But once lessons learned and having the means you can do quite well. But you’ll never get your money back.

Clarksons boat will be sold for what I call a token payment to become the new caretaker. I think he’ll get a decent price based on condition but not exactly what he is hoping for. Hopefully the new caretaker will keep in nice. I’ve sunk some big bucks on my 46. Some repairs, a lot of PM, and some nice upgrades. Not getting any of that back and don’t need to. Grabbing memories.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

We all understand a boat is a hole in the water that you try to fill with money. And romantic memories are great. But buyers don’t pay for that and when it’s time to sell you have to be realistic. Brokers will blow sunshine up your butt to get the listing. Then after it languishes on the market they start telling you about all the negatives and how you should drop the price. Meanwhile you’re paying insurance slip rental maintenance etc. And then there’s the sellers mindset once it’s on the market maintenance starts to suffer. In the sellers mind the boat is sold and it’s not being used and we all know how a boat unused suffers quickly. Better to price it low and get it moved once the decision is made.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I’ve been watching the same convertibles for sale for years all overpriced. But it looks like people are starting to get realistic and dropping prices. A friend just put his 52c up for 50k engines are strong with 4 new turbos and Deangelo exhaust he had the dreaded coring replaced under the pulpit also. Covid YOLO might have been the rising tide that raised all ships but reality is setting in and all these toys are becoming sunk assets.

are you referring to teachers pet in Stuart?
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

I have never lost any money on a boat until I've sold it. So I just plan to keep this one. That way I'll never lose anything on it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I have never lost any money on a boat until I've sold it. So I just plan to keep this one. That way I'll never lose anything on it.
    Flawless plan. Can only realize the loss if you take the loss. Love it.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP