Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Oil Pressure Gauges Only Working in Engine Rooms

The oil pressure gauges at both our pilot house and flybridge helms only rarely come to life. The ones mounted inside the engine room doors work as expected 100% of the time. Before I go down another rabbit hole, is there any chance that's a well known issue with a common fix? All the other gauges seem to work just fine.
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

Re: Oil Pressure Gauges Only Working in Engine Rooms

Engine room gauges are likely mechanical gauges. The helm gauges are electric. If they are working intermittently, then it is likely that there is a bad wire or bad wire connection. Look a the senders and see if the wire ends are crimped well and fastened tight.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I ended up replacing mine with new Stewart Warner gauges and senders from Sam's. They work fine now. Mine in the engine room are mechanical as well.
    Dragonten
    1981 53' MY Hull #603
    Woodstock, Illinois

Historically half my issues were wires/connections and the other half sender or gauge.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I had a similar issue. I resolved it with restrapping/rebonding my engine room. It’s strange how a floating ground affects digital gauges
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

Www.youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Engine room gauges are likely mechanical gauges. The helm gauges are electric. If they are working intermittently, then it is likely that there is a bad wire or bad wire connection. Look a the senders and see if the wire ends are crimped well and fastened tight.
    Thanks for the tip. I bet you can guess my next question… Where are the senders located?
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by adt2 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I bet you can guess my next question… Where are the senders located?
    Look for wires going to the transmission. It will be a fitting that screws in and has two screws on it where the wires attach.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks!
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Look for wires going to the transmission. It will be a fitting that screws in and has two screws on it where the wires attach.
    Like these?
    Attached Images
    LONE STAR
    1983 61' CPMY
    Magnolia, Texas

Yep. Like that.