Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

And - Another Thing -- Insurance ?

I'm getting a quote of $13k / annual for a 62MY (G. Loop Waterways / Bahamas as Nav Area).
    Seems like a lot to me...
    Thoughts?

Re: And - Another Thing -- Insurance ?

It depends upon your home port, claims history, agreed value, deductible etc.

For comparison, I just got renewed for $6,800, Tampa, no prior claims, $270k, 20% windstorm deductible.

and, one million bucks liability. No survey is required for the second year in a row.

The finding part is as hard as the binding part.

Good luck.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1985 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Bruce, that is a great price. We were paying about that much for Ft Myers with doubled deductible for named storm, ditto for salvage deductible for total loss.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Have you spoken to Michael Plafker? He's a Hatt owner that insures a BUNCH of us? Garber Atlas & Fries Inc.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Any time we included the Bahamas our rates skyrocketed.
    Regards
    Dan

Seainsure just sent us a letter of intent to not renew. We made one 18k claim last year after a storm wrecked the enclosure and top on the flybridge. Around 15 years with various boats insured with them. Usually more than 1 at any time. No claims, ever, until last year. Any they dropped us.

So, we're shopping. We're easier than most. The boat lives in freshwater. But we are thinking about taking it south and traveling a bit next year. So, I need an underwriter that has some flexibility in coverage areas.

We dropped Seainsure on our center console about 5 years ago. They wouldn't cover it for theft in South FL. We were making a Keys trip and I called to see if I needed a rider added. They informed me that they wouldn't cover anything with more than 1 outboard for theft in S Florida. I was floored. I dropped them and went with Eerie. We've never made a claim with them, but I have friends that did, and it seems like they were treated very well. I'm going to see what they can do with the Hatt. We'll see.

I have reached out to Michael Plafker as well. We'll see what he can do.

We're getting a survey this month. So, its prime time to go shopping for coverage anyway. How often are your carriers requiring a survey?

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    I'm getting a quote of $13k / annual for a 62MY (G. Loop Waterways / Bahamas as Nav Area).
    Seems like a lot to me...
    Thoughts?
    Your going to be in all those areas at the same time??
    Turn all that off.
    Insure for your close (home) area and enable the extended cruising area coverage (risks) as needed.