Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Generator/Thruster Battery

Batteries seem to be a hot topic right now so I’ll throw in. It’s about time to replace my 8KW generator starting battery and my two bow thruster batteries. Currently have Lifeline Starting batteries (group 31 and 27) onboard. When I searched for a duplicate replacement I was kind of surprised at the cost. Not complaining if that’s the way to go, but wondering what others are using? I see that they are mil spec and Coast Guard rated so obviously they’re good batteries.
    Last edited by Sadey; 02-09-2024 at 01:07 PM.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Generator/Thruster Battery

If AGM is what you want to stick with, then that is probably one of your better choices. I'm not a fan of AGM as I never thought the price difference over a lead acid battery could be justified. Will they last twice as long? Not in my experience. So I'm running group 31 Interstate lead acid from Costco.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I like the idea of not having to service the batteries, but for a fraction of the cost I might have to consider it.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Look at Renogy batteries. I have one of their 4D AGMs as my house battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    I like the idea of not having to service the batteries, but for a fraction of the cost I might have to consider it.
    Those Interstates are maintenance free. And that's okay for just a starting battery. Think about how long they last in your car.

For a thruster, you'll want deep cycle.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI