Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

no transformers????

Why would someone remove the transformers from the ER? i know this vessel was wired for euro
    also, but what would be the benefit/reason behind this?

Re: no transformers????

I am equally perplexed with this, as I would like to remove. Modern marinas are better wired, but if the unit offers galvanic isolation, as well as constant clean electricity and 240 volts power usage then I would understand leaving. Galvanic isolation is my interest, as Marinas do offer community electrical concerns for free!

Follow-up! Appears this question and or mine was answered in " Wiring Isolation Transformer " thread by rourkeh in 1-17-21, please review

What year is your boat? Are you sure it had transformers? Earlier boats didn’t.

A big benefit of iso transformers is that you don’t need to bring the Neutral on board. In fact many power cords for IT equipped boats don’t even have a neutral wire. Where it pays off is that without neutral you will never trip the new GFCIs that are being installed at so many marinas. Especially with boats using older appliances.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Since the OP has a boat that was configured for Europe and then brought back to the States, who knows what was done. It may have had 50hz transformers that were removed when it came back here.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Since the OP has a boat that was configured for Europe and then brought back to the States, who knows what was done. It may have had 50hz transformers that were removed when it came back here.
    True…. But I don’t think transformers care about frequency, do they?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I could answer this myself if I dug into my wiring diagrams , but I am wondering if the grounds in our electrical panels are tied to the bonding system? Is the neutral tied to the bonding system ? This is on a transformer equipped boat . I remember talking to someone that the neutral on this boat is tied to the bonding system. This is after it was configured for European power , which I think is two wire 240 V .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

My transformers have a 50hz and 60hz setting, done by changing some jumper wires, so at least in my case it would see that transformers are sensitive to frequency.

Boat is 58LRC

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    I could answer this myself if I dug into my wiring diagrams , but I am wondering if the grounds in our electrical panels are tied to the bonding system? Is the neutral tied to the bonding system ? This is on a transformer equipped boat . I remember talking to someone that the neutral on this boat is tied to the bonding system. This is after it was configured for European power , which I think is two wire 240 V .
    I have found boats with transformers wired different ways when it comes to that green wire.
    Check the print set for your boat to ensure how your boat is wired and hope nobody has modified it. A DVM could be of use in triple checking this also.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    My transformers have a 50hz and 60hz setting, done by changing some jumper wires, so at least in my case it would see that transformers are sensitive to frequency.

Boat is 58LRC
    Same here and my transformers are also "Step-Up" or "Step-Down" with the flip of a switch.

Many times on docks the power is not the full 220 VAC. If it is not, then I can step up the voltage so all systems and devices are happy. I can also step it down if needed, but never had to use that function.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL