Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Please Help: What is this steel braid hose in rear bilge?

Hi Folks - we have a 1991 41C. I am trying to track down some water that is accumulating in an outboard sump in the bilge.

The location:
    - In the bilge, Starboard side, furthest sump area outboard - no weep holes that I can see, so water just accumulates when it gets in (sump is about 5" deep)
    - Sump is behind the rear bulkhead (the bulkhead behind the starboard engine/transmission and in front of the fuel tank)
    - Sump appears to be below the cockpit cabinets on the starboard side of the boat

I periodically get water accumulating in this sump. I tasted it and it tastes like fresh water.
    Today, I crawled back into the space to see if I could determine where the water was coming from.

There was a steel braid hose that was coming out of the rear of the bulkhead, up high (above where the big exhaust comes through the bulkhead). I jiggled the hose and it broke off of the bulkhead connection, into my hand. I will post a photo of the steel braid hose and show the end that was in the bulkhead and the end that was "dangling". It appears to be a hose that went through the bulkhead from some pipe on the forward side of the bulkhead. I will post photos of what appears to be the area on the forward side of the bulkhead... again, above where the big exhaust goes through.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas:

1) Is there a typical problem in these 41C boats, where water (maybe rain water) gets through the hull and accumulates in the outboard sumps? it is strange that there does not appear to be a weep hole in this sump?

2) Does anyone have any ideas what this steel braid hose might have been for?

thank you
    Steve
    Attached Images

Re: Please Help: What is this steel braid hose in rear bilge?

I have a 1987 41C and there is a sink on the stb side of the cockpit bulkhead. This might be a water feed line to the sink. The braided hose looks like a flexible line used o feed freshwater sinks.
    1987 41' CD832
    Giddy Up
    Niantic, CT

Quote Originally Posted by steve c View Post
    I have a 1987 41C and there is a sink on the stb side of the cockpit bulkhead. This might be a water feed line to the sink. The braided hose looks like a flexible line used o feed freshwater sinks.
    Thank you. Last time I tried, my faucet worked in the sink. Will try again. Thank you!

Is there a hose connection for a deck wash or a dockside water inlet? Two more possibilities.

Walt Hoover

I don’t think so.