Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Indiantown summer storage

Hi Y'all,

We have the 41C in Marsh Harbor - been in the Abacos since early January. Looking at bringing her back to FL early July and storing at Indiantown. We've never had her stored on the hard. Worried about mildew, excessive interior heat. We anticipate leaving on the hard until mid-Oct/early Nov. What are suggestions? We have some maintenance to do before splashing - do we wait until we are about to launch?

Many thanks,
    Moon Howler

Re: Indiantown summer storage

I have stored my boat at River Forest in Stuart for the last 5 years or so. I spend sometime in the building but the bulk of the time I am outside
    Due to the boat getting work done. You are right to be concerned about mold and heat. Rightly or wrongly I don’t run my AC’s when the boat
    Is left unattended and I have had some mold issues. Manageable but not desirable. I am thinking of buying 2 small 120V dehumidiers. One for the bow
    And one for the stern. For some reason the bow is the area with the mold issue. Otherwise I have accepted it and cleaned it up each time in the fall.

Calcium Chloride removes more humidity than AC's. Bulk containers, or lots of damp rids. I like the hanging kind, and if you can have someone check on them every 2 weeks or so, mold can be mitigated.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

We stored there once. Come launch time the shafts were bent. Bad. As I recall if you wanted to work on the boat they move you to the work zone. Several boats laid up had extensive work to get going again. Fridays people would get together for a happy hour and sing "Hotel California".

https://youtu.be/AdOR6JsCoDE
    Regards
    Dan

Are you talking about Indiantown Marina or Indiantown Marine Center? There is a big difference between these two locations. I recommend Marine Center. I keep the boat plugged in when in storage with two floor drying fans on timers. One fan in the bow stateroom and the other in the aft stateroom with all doors open. I have never had a mold issue. I also hang DampRid in the closets.

Caesars Ghost
    1980 58YF #472

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    We stored there once. Come launch time the shafts were bent. Bad. As I recall if you wanted to work on the boat they move you to the work zone. Several boats laid up had extensive work to get going again. Fridays people would get together for a happy hour and sing "Hotel California".

https://youtu.be/AdOR6JsCoDE
    It’s why I can’t listen to classic rock anymore.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

7. Re: Indiantown summer storage

Many thanks for the replies. The difference in cost between one and the other is noticeable, however the comments about the older facility have to be taken into account. Love that "Hotel California" Youtube. Any suggestions for other places in the area that provide dry storage - that I should investigate?

We were at Indiantown ( not the new one) for years and then River Forest both in Stuart and LaBelle. We do not pay for electric. My wife uses charcoal and bleach and damp rid.
    30 years...no mold or mildew.
    We shrink-wrapped one year. No difference and not applied when required so overly expensive. My wife covers port holes and the cockpit. Bottom line...prep well and no issues. As an aside....aft plug out and taped to wheel.